Author Topic: Trengoffe manor Warleggan  (Read 12050 times)

Offline step52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trengoffe manor Warleggan
« on: Monday 26 March 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a photo of Trengoffe before it was burnt down? I am intersted in any information on this old house which I think has connections with my Trengove ancestors.
Any info appreciated
Narelle
Lawday and variants UK partic James Lawday, tailor Somerstown London, Lawrence family Holborn area London pre 1927 ,
Trengove of Cornwall, Munday of Watlington Oxfordshire pre 1852,

Offline step52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trengoffe in Warleggan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 07 03:52 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for information on Trengoffe in Warleggan. The house was burnt down years ago but I'm hoping someone may have sketches, photos or information about the old manor house .
Any info appreciated

Narelle
Lawday and variants UK partic James Lawday, tailor Somerstown London, Lawrence family Holborn area London pre 1927 ,

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trengoffe manor Warleggan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Narelle

I don't know if you are still looking for info ...but I found this interesting snippet..

WARLEGGAN or WARLEGGON, in the hundred and deanery of West, lies about six miles nearly east from Bodmin, which is the post-office town, and about eight north-west from Liskeard. The principal villages in this parish are, Bofindle and the church-town.
The manor of Warleggon, together with the advowson of the rectory, has long been in the family of Gregor, and is now the property of Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trewarthenick. Another manor of Warleggon belonged to the Coryton family, of whom it was purchased, in 1680, by John Trengove, otherwise Nance, Esq., by whose descendant, James Wyard Gooch, Esq. (some time of Trengoffe, now of Orford in Suffolk), it was alienated, in 1803, to Edward Angove, Esq., who at the same time purchased the barton of Trengoffe, (formerly esteemed a manor,) which had been successively in the families of Molins, Hungerford, and Hastings. This manor has been lately offered for sale. Trengoffe or Trengove gave name to an ancient family, by whom the barton was sold to the Tubbs: in Norden's time, it was the seat of John Tubb, Esq.: after continuing in this family for some descents, it was sold to the Parkers, and by the latter to John Trengove alias Nance, said to have been descended from a younger branch of the family, who sold this barton to the Tubbs. (fn. 11)
The manor of Carborro or Carburrow, and the barton of Trevedoe, have been for a considerable time in the family of their present proprietor, Arscott Bickford, Esq., of Dunsland in Devonshire. Part of the old mansion is inhabited as a farm-house; the remainder is reserved for the purpose of holding the manor courts

From: 'Parishes: St Veep - Zennor', Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814), pp. 317-329. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50653. Date accessed: 19 October 2007.

deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

it seems that the Cornwall Records Office may have old pictures/postcards....

Tel: 01872 322000
enquiries[at]cornwall.gov.uk         replace [at] with @
County Hall, Treyew ...Notes, Gooch, Trengoffe and Brewster families ... Photographs, Trelowarren and 'Sir Christopher Harris's house not far from Penzance', Kenegie in Gulval ...
crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/.../21 - 25k

deb  :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello "Step52"

Just browing the Cornish board today and noticed your (old) request.  I was in Warleggan last week and was talking to a gentleman whose family lived at Trengoffe.  He has lots of photographs of the manor, going back many years.

If you are still searching, let me know and I will get back to you.  He is rather elderly but very spry, "all there" and is a mine of information.  What is your connection with the property?

regards,
Anne
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline step52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 May 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Cowboys mate.
I would be very interested in any  information and/or  contacts for  Trengoffe in Warleggan. I am a descendant of the Trengove  family of Cornwall and we were told the name was originally Tre an goff / Trengoffe. I don't know whether our Trengoves came from the old Cornish family from Trengoffe or not, but having visited that area I am very interested in the history of the house as well as the name. I live in Australia and would appreciate any help/contacts you are able to give.
cheers
step52

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
OK,

I have to write to the gentleman to thank him for allowing us to visit him last week, so I will tell him of your interest and ask him if you can write to him (he has a computer but is not online).  I think one of his sons has a computer, I will find out if you can make contact that way also.

He is a real family history nut, he has volumes of books all done by hand and cross referenced, his family tree goes back to 850 or so (!).  But more to the point, he showed us some photographs of Trengoffe Manor before it was burned, including interior shots of the kitchens, and old relations who lived there.  He is very happy to share, and has given me copies of photographs of an ancestor of mine (he has a scanner and copier). 

I'm sure that between us we can manage to get you in touch, and get some results.  There is also a couple of people in the next village who are very computer literate, who may be able to help if the son can't.
I will send you a "personal message" with my email address when I get a response from him.

regards,
Cowboysmate
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline step52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your offer to contact the gentleman who has photos etc of Trengoffe.
Regards
Step52