Author Topic: Charles GARBUTT Townsville  (Read 22618 times)

Offline Inghamite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles GARBUTT Townsville
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 March 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.
Thanks for the extra information. While living at Mt Cotton, Charles and Lucy Garbutt had 5 children - Olive, Charles Cecil (Arthur), Emmeline (who died at 6 months of age), John Overend and Lucy Maud. In the same year of Emmeline's passing, Charles's mother, Jane, also died in 1875. Jane had been living at "Langlands" on the old Cleveland Rd Cooparoo in Brisbane. Charles's 2 brothers also died - Arthur in 1873 and John in 1878. With few family ties still remaining, Charles and Lucy packed their belongings and headed north in 1878. :)

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 March 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
G'day again

I grew up in COORPAROO and knew the area of the former Langlands Estate very well.

A lot of the former estate has now been torn up for the new Busway. 

Langlands Park is where the Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Club is accommodated. 

It was formerly the home of the Eastern Suburbs District Cricket Club in Brisbane.  For those with knowledge of cricket it is where the Test cricketer, Peter BURGE played.

If you can give me a more specific address, I will attempt to find the cottage if it still exists.

EDO
in Carindale

Offline Inghamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 March 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It does actually still exist. On my last visit to brisbane I actually found it.
Info i found:
•   1865 – 25th March – Jane purchases “Langlands” from John Bridges. The property consisted of 76 acres and 2 roods. Langland’s – Portion 58 – bounded by: Old Cleveland Road, Panitya Street, Norman Creek and St Leonards Street. The home stood on the crest of a hill on Old Cleveland Road almost opposite where Kirkland Avenue joins it. Langland’s is the oldest surviving masonry dwelling in the southern Brisbane suburb of Cooparoo. Today Langland’s is the staff house for Villanova College, 24 Sixth Avenue, Coorparoo

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 March 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
G'day Inghamite

Panitya Street has been completely relocated from a north-south direction to an east-west direction and now intersects Main Avenue at right angles.

Unfortunately many of the old buildings in the Langlands area of Coorparoo have been demolished, including our own.  Rialto Street where we lived has now been closed off:  Not sure whether this is temporary or not.

Regards

EDO

Offline Beth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
Have just found this site. Am a ggranddaughter of JO Garbutt and am trying to find out why Jane Garbutt nee Overend came to Australia with her sons and also her sister and brother-in-law Lucy and John Wilson and children. Also trying to locate Norton House in South Brisbane perhaps it was on Old Cleveland rd.

Also trying to find more info on the g.g.aunts Dot(Dorothy) Kit and May of whom I have several photos

Beth2

Offline Inghamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 June 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth2
A very good question and one I constantly asked myself when I first started researching the family history. Unfortunately - absolutely no idea !! Sorry.  It just seems incredible that a woman with 3 young sons would move to another country. I assume you know she married a doctor in Brisbane and they had another son but the child died very young.
Who were your ancestors? My lineage is Jane Overend Garbutt - Charles Overend Garbutt - John Overend Garbutt - William Overend Garbutt - George Overend Garbutt - ME !!

Offline silkey7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 July 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
hi inghamite,

I am the granddaughter of george overend doing research for school assigment! ;D

Offline Inghamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 August 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
 :) :) George has 4 grand daughters - Cass, Meg, Mary and Georgia. Which one are you?

Offline Beth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 August 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Inghamite
I have found out a lot about Jane Garbutt (Temple). My line is COG - John Overend Garbutt - Evelyn May was my grandmother. I have worked out that Jane did not come alone but with her sister and brother -in-law and their 3 children. The brother in law, John James Wilson died in 1865, one of his sons William Overend died just before Jane did in August 1875. The other son who is a cousin of COG worked with COG at Mt Cotton (the place was called Doongabbin) and subsequently with the family at Coolgarra, in the butcher shop there.
Have made assumptions about the move to Aust:  all the important family members died in England, i.e. husband, father? grandfather?.  Or she wanted to improve her social standing or wanted to leave a place that was rapidly changing because of the industrial revolution. Norton and Stockton  are now suburbs of Middlesbrough a major industrial city. Went to the original address in 2009. No 3 The Square was a police station. What was a village in 1850 is all gone.
Beth2