Author Topic: james kenley  (Read 4547 times)

Offline wodell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james kenley
« on: Sunday 10 June 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
 ???help needed, quite a lot in fact, i have a james kenley in my tree,he first appears in 1881 as being born in longtown scotland,but living in cockermouth cumberland,
married to mary ellen, born locally.
then in 1891 he is listed as being born in longtown england,
then by 1901 he has gone, i have tried ances.com, genes,
scotlands people, 1837 on line,free bmd. ???
but all i can tell you is b,1848, and the rest as above or not known by me,
so any clues, thanks folks. ??? ??? :-* :D
 wodell.                                                
starkie,cockermouth.kennely,cockermouth.potts,cockermouth.fulton,workington.ellwood,cumberland.kneen/neen/kaneen,iom & cockermouth  & durham.coghlan,cork..nichol,cumberland murphy, ireland-workington, armstrong,workington. williamson,harrington.fraser,newcastle-harrington, hill,ireland-maryport. foster, worcester-west cumberland.

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: james kenley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 07 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Wodell

I'll see if I can help a bit here. 

I looked at the census returns and so far I'm seeing James and Eleanor in 1891.  They have one daughter named Annie and she's age 2.  James is listed as born. Longstown, Cumberland and he is a shoemaker.  So then I looked in 1901 and the family is still right there in Cockermouth only it's expanded to now consist of Annie age 12, John age 10, William age 9, Sarah A. age 6, mary E. age 3 and little James age 1.  This census shows Eleanor as "Ellen" age 32 and James is age 53.  His occupation is now listed as bootmaker and yes it does say he is born in Scotland, Longtown.  Since this location is right on the border I'm not surprised!

Ok...next I looked for James in an earlier year.  So far he is eluding me in 1881 but I think he's the boarder in Irby in 1871 listed as born Irby.  Occupation is boot and shoemaker and the age is 23 which fits nicely.  The reason I think this is him is in 1861 there is a James with grandparents in Irby Low.  The name is indexed as Kennedy but the image looks more like Kennely to me.  The grandparents are John and Nancy.  James is age 14 and an apprentice shoemaker.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 07 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Wodell

Just supporting Jean's info. There is a birth entry in Longtown Cumberland which could be James at www.freebmd.rootsweb.com:

Births Dec 1846   
Kinley    James        Longtown    25   113

Regards.

Monica

PS Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wodell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
hi, thanks for the info, i had seen the low ireby family, but never thought it may be a error or bad grammar, like wot i dus,
i feel like i may be able to move on abit now, thanks all , i,ll be back when i get stuck again, ;D :D
starkie,cockermouth.kennely,cockermouth.potts,cockermouth.fulton,workington.ellwood,cumberland.kneen/neen/kaneen,iom & cockermouth  & durham.coghlan,cork..nichol,cumberland murphy, ireland-workington, armstrong,workington. williamson,harrington.fraser,newcastle-harrington, hill,ireland-maryport. foster, worcester-west cumberland.

Offline Carolyn234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Wodell
I am very interested in your James Kenley.  I am wondering if you know who his parents were and how he is connected to John "Connell" and Annie Herbert.  I noticed that he named his children John and Annie and that he was a shoemaker in Cockermouth.  I have been working on this family extensively and would love to find someone in England who knows more than I do and who could answer some of the questions I have.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Carolyn 234 in Canada

Offline Carolyn234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
James Kinley was born 19 October 1846 in Longtown Low, Cumberland, England.  His father was William Cannell and his mother was Mary Huggon. William was born in Ireby, Cumberland, the son of John Cannell and Ann Herbert.  William came to Canada abt. 1853 and settled in Bruce County, Ontario where he married Jannett McKenzie and had a large family.  He is my client's great grandfather.  John Cannell was born on the Isle of Man in 1799 and died in 1860 in Ireby.  I have many certificates and documents proving all of this.  James (later Kenley) lived with his Cannell grandparents and later William's sister Catherine who married Thomas Pearson.  If you are related to James, you are also related to my client.  Please reply.
Carolyn 234 in Canada.