Author Topic: Can anyone help?  (Read 797 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Can anyone help?
« on: Tuesday 07 December 04 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Ive just found my great great great great grandmother born in 1777! Im really pleased as i only started researching my family 3 weeks ago! Ive become addicted now cos things are going so fast and I was wondering if anyone could find her husband?
She is a Mary Petty born in 1777. She is down in 1851 as being 74 yrs old and living with her daughter Deborah Hughes (nee Petty) and John hughes (Deborah's husband) and their family at 32 Halesowen Street. She is a pauper (next to pauper theres a word thats illegible - something like _ll__lwife maybe??
It states she is born in Oldbury, Worcestershire - but it just says ditto from all the family above. The enumerator may have just presumed she was born in the same place as the rest or something....so that place of birth may be inaccurate. She's obviously a widow by 1851.
Ive tried looking her up on West Midlands BMD but there are no records yet, so i tried Staffordshire (as the re is a discrepancy in borders last century) and she doesnt seem to be there either. I've also followed a link on rootschat to BMD's in Halesowen and the surrounding area - but im fumbling in the dark really.
I wondered if anyone could help find her or if anyone has any advice on what i should try next??
Thanks very much for your help...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Petty, Mary 1852 March West Bromwich  6b 341

This is an entry for a death which might be your Mary Petty. There is no age given on FBMD but you could order the certificate stating that you only want it if it is for an lady aged around 75. If it is the correct one it might give you some more information.

When making a posting like this it reallly helps if you give all the details of  (in this case) the 1851 census so that people can see what the names and ages are.

I am a bit worried because you say that Deborah's husband is John so how does this check out?

1871 England Census

West Bromwich St,Oldbury 

Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island

Hannah Allwell 17  West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Visitor  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
David Hughes 19  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Son  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
Deborah Hughes 58  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Wife  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
Elizabeth Hughes 15  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Daughter  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
Henry Hughes 13  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Son  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
John Hughes 17  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Son  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
Susan Hughes 21  Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Daughter  Oldbury  Staffordshire   
William Hughes 57  Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England Head  Oldbury  Staffordshire 
Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island

If that is the right Deborah (is John a mistake?) then she married in 1834 so you won't be able to use her marriage certificate to get her father's name.
Deborah Pettey; Spouse:  WILLIAM HUGHES  Family
  Marriage:  26 JAN 1834   Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
 But sometimes the St Thomas entries do have details of the fathers and witnesses so it can be worth looking there.

I looked on the IGI to see children for Deborah and John and they seem to be quite different to these ones in the census, and these for Deborah and William are not there! Very confusing so I hope you have it all sorted out ;)

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk