Author Topic: Completed - Many thanks - Any significance to only wearing one glove  (Read 12378 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any significance to only wearing one glove
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo
The x usually means his medals would be impressed with that regiment on the rim or back of the Star
The Theatre of war  was the first place he would have served overseas.It was coded (4) if im correct was Africa so (4a) may be east Africa??

Having looked at the Great War Forum on the Royal Fusiliers bit it lists the 25th Batt Royal Fusiliers as landing at Mombassa May 1915 which ties in with the date on the MIC
As always theres a lot of guessing so i could be wrong

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JoJoBuggins

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
Ady

Im very impressed,you were able to decipher all that, I wouldnt have had a clue with the (4A) going to get my atlas out now and have a look

I only received this photo yesterday and you have told me so much, many thank yous

Jo
Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
I think mack may be right. I've downloaded & enlarged the pic, & I'm sure I can see fingernails! Perhaps a post on the photo restoration board to ask one of clever people on there to take a look, The graphics programs they use will be much better at showing detail.

Betty

i could be wrong,but it looks like a bad shadow not a glove,if his service record has survived,roy will find it.
mack
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/

Jo the 25th Royal Fusiliers  were known as "Frontiersmen" with quite a history.

Theres a link above.
The 25th link is on the left.
Ady

Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JoJoBuggins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 16:09 BST (UK) »
Ady

Thanks for that

This made me laugh

"The age limit was 25-48 years; but it was obvious that a few old-timers must have forgotten the year in which they were born..."

fascinating stuff, you cant believe that some men deserted there normal unit just to join the 25th Fusiliers, bet it was fun at Waterloo Station with the police trying to catch them

Jo
Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline JoJoBuggins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
Ady

as promised MIC

Jo
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
i dont know if anyone has noticed,but charles has been written under the F,not before it,i honestly cant see anything on this card that fits to the charles in the picture,this mans card is for a private,charles is a full corporal,hes also wearing two overseas stripes which indicate that he went overseas in 1916,the bloke in the medal card went overseas in 1915,the card looks to me like it should be f,charles verity not charles,f verity,a soldier wouldnt show that he had lost a limb if he was having his picture taken,he would have hidden it,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Manmack
A lot of its calculated guessing these are the reasons
1.The cap badge on the Phot is(in my opinion) AOC
2.The MIC is to a private however he could have held the rank of Temporary Cpl or Acting Cpl and then been reverted to Pte
3.He has 2 Overseas Chevrons so if he went Overseas in 1915 that would take him to 1917 and then for whatever reason he was rear based in UK he wouldnt qualify for any more.
4. C.F. were written first and the" harles" added after

I know MICs are sometimes lost and inaccurate so we possibly need a little bit more info to clinch it.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline JoJoBuggins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
Manmack, I had noticed that, but didnt think a great deal to it, but on the actual download form it does say Charles Frederick Verity, so if he isnt the Charles in the photo, then he probably is my other Charles Frederick, don't you think?

Why do brothers,name their sons the same, causes so much confusion

And to be honest I wouldnt know that a Corporal had two chevrons, all I can say is thank goodness for all you kind Rootschatters ;D

My thoughts with regard to the hand sway from one idea one minute to another the next

Jo

Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire