Author Topic: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!  (Read 10975 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Genes Reunited - GRRRR!
« on: Tuesday 12 June 07 20:30 BST (UK) »
I'm just taking a moment while Genes Reunited is not working (or "gone tits-up" as is the techie term I believe) to ask if anybody knows just what non-members and lapsed members can do at the site. GR are very good at enticing you with members who you seem to have rellies in common with, but then - you message them & they don't reply.  OK some are dead or ill or not on the internet or changed their email, but that can't account for all the silence. Some open their trees but don't reply - is that all they can do? I don't understand why anyone can join a genealogy site and not be interested in hearing from lost relatives.

Interesting that just before my renewal was due they were sending me lots of hot matches and their other little messages, but since I coughed up my tenner there's been very little.

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
 I agree Chris,  ex members can only read the Tips, Record & General pages. I ended my subscription some months ago, but I often take a peep, I will then get an email from them giving me (useless ) info. When you think it is the members themselves who do all the grafting, and very well too, the site owners rake the money in.  I tell my ex Genes to come here where they will be most appreciated!  i definately won't be re subscribing. Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Dolly - so if I sent you a message there, would you be able to read it? Could you reply? Can you even tell whether anyone's messaged you or not? Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Dolly - so if I sent you a message there, would you be able to read it? Could you reply? Can you even tell whether anyone's messaged you or not? Chris

You can read messages sent to you but are unable to reply unless you have a current paid up subscription

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested in knowing that as well Dolly, my sub is up in September and I am really thinking about not bothering again.  I know it's only a small amount of money but I get more joy out of rootschat and that's free!

At least people hear answer.  I recently had contact from one guy who offered me a will which would be really helpful, I sent some information to him and never heard back again.  Typical!

Got my latest batch of hot matches, this morning most were either blank place of birth or foreign coutnes.  Grrrrrrrr

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:27 BST (UK) »
  Chris, if you are not a member then you cannot reply to any of the messages or threads,  even if anyone  did contact a non member they cannot reply.  As you said one can't see the logic of it all.   Also the membership fees takes some comprehending, I am offered to rejoin now for £9 95 for 6 months. When I first joined it was only £7 50 for a year.. It's a pity as it was such a great site at first ,  now most of the old members have given up too.. Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
I gave up completely on GR - there are so many better forums such as this one to make contact.
I think one of the reasons members don't reply - and this is my personal experience - is that if you have posted a reasonably large tree on the site you get inundated with their so-called "hot matches" which are simply laughable. If I have, say, John MacDonald born 1850 in Inverness on my tree I get every *** John MacDonald from here to Timbuctoo born within 50 years of that date sent to me as a "hot match". So I just gave up checking them out and unfortunately that also included replying to enquiries from others, even though I did make one or two interesting contacts early on.

Alastair
Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Have to agree with all your comments.
It was a good starter site for me though. 
Quite a few useful contacts from it early on.
I find now I give more than I get out of it, not that I mind giving.
Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:57 BST (UK) »
I hold a GR membership and an Ancestry membership.

I find GR useful for contacting others about my people and helping them out. If only they had stuck with that and made contacting much more effective I think they would have had a great site.

Sadly they now offer stupid bmd and census hints and have forgotten their mission of smoothing contact between people with common ancestors.

I only use GR nowadays as a kind of advert of my tree. I get contacts from possible relatives and sometimes they have a lot to offer.

I use Ancestry for collecting sources and searching.

I hold my main tree in RootsMagic, upload it as a gedcom to GR for contacts and upload it to Ancestry for sources and research.

Each is just a tool, but RootsChat makes it all so much more friendly.

All of the living relatives I have found came through GR, most of my dead ones from Ancestry, and most of the interesting stuff from RC. :)

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright