Author Topic: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!  (Read 10885 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 20:56 BST (UK) »

So, I'm messaging people who don't get an email from GR to tell them about it, so they probably never or hardly ever go on the site.

I have not paid any money to GenesReunited. I DO receive email notifications that someone has sent me a message through their messaging system. Once that contact has been made I can reply and carry on messaging to that person.

Maybe the other person has set their preferences (are there any? - I haven't checked) so they do not receive notification. Or, they don't want to get into a conversation with you, they just want your tree. I've had a case recently - someone who does have a legitimate connection contacted me, has not replied to my suggestion that he emails me, nor has he taken the bait that I have certs, wills, photos. He just keeps on requesting to see my tree. No chance!

:)
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Has anybody else noticed the use of the word 'Reunited' by a certain company that owns GR Reunited.  They are showing a programme on Saturday night called Tiswas Reunited.  Perhaps they are trying to rebrand themselves. 

Not a very good move in my opinion if Genes is anything to go by!!! >:(

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Back again !

Koromo,

I dont understand  ??? how is it that you can reply to a person through GR without paying any money /  How do you make contact with that person because when I hadn't noticed that my membership had run out, and tried to contact someone, I was told that I would have to be a full member in order to send messages.  Am I missing something here as no one else has asked you about this, although you mentioned it in an earlier message.  I am starting to think I am rambling on about a totally different site to everyone else  :-[ what with different prices n all !

Also is it true that people nick trees ?  why would they do this ? why ? whats the point ? if they are going to do that its as good as pulling out a census page and just copying that, or am I missing something again  :-[

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 23:24 BST (UK) »
Someone on GR had a name on their tree that I was trying to trace, & the only way I could contact them was to join.
The annoying thing was, they didn't answer >:( I've since traced this relative, & realised this person on GR was very unlikely to have this info anyway & was probably hoping for help. My sub. was due for renewal at the end of May, I didn't bother ro renew, now GR keep emailing me to tempt me back, telling me over 2 million names have been added in that time. Yeah, right, & none of them will be anything to do with me ;D ;D

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 June 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
No but I bet they would all pop up on your hot matches!!!!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 June 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
I expect the reason some GR non-members can reply to messages and others can't, and the reason some get an email when they've been messaged when others don't, is the same reason some folk pay £7 for a year and others £10 for six months.

Either: it's incompetence, which wouldn't surprise me: though in fairness when I've complained about something not working they've *eventually* sorted it out.

Or: it's a marketing exercise. If they can get 1100 people to sign up when it's £7, they've made more money than if 700 folk sign up when it's £10. They're trying to find the point on the curve which generates the most income. Similarly with sending or not sending emails to non-members, or allowing or forbidding them to reply to messages - it's finding out which method generates the best renewal rate.

As to the difference between member behaviour on the two sites, I don't get this. GR and Rootschat members belong to the same species, why should members of one site be ruder than members of another?

I think the main difference is that Rootschat boards are public - doubtless there's a lot of PM-ing going on but there's loads out here too. In contrast, most of GR is in private - the public boards are small and not well publicised - so it's easier to be rude in the safety of a private message, or to commit the (to my mind) worst rudeness of all: not replying. (It might be that GR loses messages of course.)

I think there might be a generational thing here too. Rootschat is a site you have to find: I don't know any other way to get here than seeing it on another genealogical site, or via a search engine (that's how I got here: putting a rare name into Google.) So you don't join unless you're into genealogy, even though it's free.

GR on the other hand is well advertised, particularly in the sister site Friends reunited, and perhaps people who like Friends just join because they've enjoyed that, and met old friends - and think it would be cool to meet relatives too.

The difference is that on Friends you're meeting people of your own generation (whichever one) and you speak the same language. Maybe they expect to meet relatives of their own generation, but it does seem to be that hobby genealogists tend to be middle-aged or older. I think this is the reason why at least a couple of younger women on GR seem to have opted out of replying to my messages - here's this bloke old enough to be your dad, and he may be a relative but you know nothing about him, he might want to meet you for dodgy reasons....

It works both ways. I know from usenet (you don't know what abuse is until you've used usenet) that attitudes to spelling and swearing vary enormously. Since the advent of txt mssgng, nbdy spls anyfng proply NE mor - it doesn't mean they can't. Rootschat is the politest contributor site I know of - I had to ponder before writing "tits-up" in the head post, but left it in because I didn't think it would be understood with asterisks. Likewise somebody halfway down the thread wrote "cr**py" or something. So if someone mis-spells everything it doesn't mean they're ignorant, and if they address you as "yo, female dog" they're not being disrespectful.

Stealing trees - apparently - why? To sell on? Who'd buy somebody else's tree? I tried a search for this on Google and found this:

http://www.heraldrytoday.co.uk/surname_family_histories.htm

but they only have about 200 (mostly aristocratic) trees in old books for sale, which is fair enough. (So "Somerset and all the Maughams" is worth £21! I picked it up for about £3. I'll let anybody who wants to see the tree.)

I also saw somebody selling a specific tree (with family bible) on genforum at genealogy.com, but there hadn't been any interest.

I'm fairly relaxed about opening my tree, because I took the hint from somebody else on an earlier thread about leaving in a mistake or two. You'd have to be pretty dedicated to copy someone else's bit by bit - you can only upload your own gedcom I hope.

As to people putting your living relatives in their tree, I think the only answer is not to put in living people unless they've definitely given permission. There is now that "Living" relative option. I've very few in my tree. I admit I was a bit miffed when I saw my late mother's name in someone else's tree but then I got rational - she is their relative. If I were able to veto other people putting "my" late relatives in "their" tree, then they could retaliate, and nobody would get any genealogy done.

Sorry if this is a bit long. Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 June 07 10:39 BST (UK) »

how is it that you can reply to a person through GR without paying any money /  How do you make contact with that person

Hi

Because I have not paid anything to GR, I cannot make the first contact by sending the first message - I can't start any 'conversations' with anyone else. I have to wait for a fully paid-up member to get in touch with me. Once that happens I can carry on with the 'conversation'.

As for the different charging, from what I've read in other posts here, if you subscribed as a new member, or you had let your subscription lapse for a few months, it would cost £7.00 for 6 months. If you renewed your subscription on time, you would get it for £10 for a year. It was something like that. There was a bit of a brouhaha over it a few months ago, and I don't know if this is still the case.

Cheers
K.
:)

Edited to add: I got all the amounts wrong!  ::)
See Andy's post below for a much better explanation of the charges.  ;)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 June 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
Chris

Some very good points.  I don't know why but I'm shocked to find trees being sold on the net, I thought it was all about the fun of the chase but obviously not for some!!! :-\

My solution to the living relatives question is to start my tree from my grandparents.

I'm pretty relaxed about people seeing my tree as well, I just, as in every part of life, like a bit of give and take, not take take take! ::)

Kerry

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 June 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
There was a topic re GR rates a few months ago. In a nutshell some long term subscribers to GR were still only being charged 7.50 GDP for 12 months, more recent subscribers renewing were charged 9.95 GDP for 12 months but recently new subscribers are charged 9.95 GDP for only 6 months. (I don't know what happens if they then renew). If you didn't renew your old subscription within I think 4 weeks, it was treated as new and you were charged 9.95 GDP for 6 months, †Just to confuse it even more new subscribers from other countries are charged different rates again such as $19.95 AUD from Australia. The thing that was confusing people also was that dependant upon your subscription rate within GR you got different info when looking at rates in the FAQ. †For example Chris if you were to look at the FAQ it would show your current rate but if you were to register again changing your name slightly (you can use the same email) and look at the FAQ it will then show you the new rate. Change your country of residence to Australia and its a different FAQ.

I've made some great contacts on GR and once I've confirmed the connection, communicate direct by email but the thing that really annoys me is that there is no way of telling what the status is of a potential contact or how old the record is. I'm sure that many people either don't subscribe or don't renew just leave their trees up and if they have changed their email address they are not going to get any messages.

Andy