Author Topic: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!  (Read 10968 times)

Offline cassandra123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 June 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
I do not belong to Genes Reunited,  neither would I consider being a member. The bad comments outweigh any good ones I have ever heard.   I don't search for ancestors like that anyway. 

I don't want other peoples unchecked data. where no sources are supplied.

I would much sooner do my own offline at various venus, libraries, records offices, and FHS's.

"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.   I did not laugh.
People who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.......

By Robert A Heinlein

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 June 07 19:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not a fan of GenesReunited but finding living relatives can be very useful. 

They may have the family bible, old photos or other treasures.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
I have been a member almost from the start..............I ignore rude threads chose who I wish to help.............and have made a great many friends along the way and some cousins................yes I have been frustrated when I havent had answers to mails and I dont like automated replies.............there are faults we can find with most sites if we want.................I still consider that for a very small sum I have benifitted.

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
I have been a member almost from the start..............I ignore rude threads chose who I wish to help.............and have made a great many friends along the way and some cousins................yes I have been frustrated when I havent had answers to mails and I dont like automated replies.............there are faults we can find with most sites if we want.................I still consider that for a very small sum I have benifitted.

sandie

Well said sandiep.

GR like many resources is simply a tool and even at that, it is only one tool amongst many. Like many sites (even this one) it has its faults, its critics and its detractors but used wisely, like any good tool should be, it can produce benefits and although there is sometimes frustration too genealogy is not a hobby for those who are too easily put off at the first hint of a hurdle.

Offline Ian Moseley

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family for a great many years, and when I had my first modern computer, in 1997 I joined the Rootsweb site, the help then was excellent, I was then one of the first members of the GR's site and have made some very good contacts through this site, of course some of the members just put in the information they think is corect without checking their facts. But I have contacted many distant family members through GR. I then joined Rootschat and have had some success on this site, I think that all family history research sites have their advantages, and perhaps because of the different objectives in the way they were started, appeal in different ways.

All genealogy sites have their advantages and should be used accordingly.

Regards,
Ian.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 June 07 07:44 BST (UK) »

sandie

Well said sandiep.

GR like many resources is simply a tool and even at that, it is only one tool amongst many. Like many sites (even this one) it has its faults, its critics and its detractors but used wisely, like any good tool should be, it can produce benefits and although there is sometimes frustration too genealogy is not a hobby for those who are too easily put off at the first hint of a hurdle.

Falkryn

I don't disagree that GR can be a very useful tool, as well as the bad I've had some brilliant contacts through the site, contacts that I still am in conversation with when I find something new or vice versa.  The bad is that GR have taken their eyes off the ball and forgotten genealogy is a fun hobby and are just out to get every penny they can from us without caring about the site and how it helps us anymore.  GR was the first site I joined when I started hunting my ancestors and it has changed over the years and not for the better.  Let's hope Rootschat doesn't go the same way!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 June 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
I think GR is not bad value, it is annoying, I have had great information from it. some of it of a massive help.

However, there is a free alternative, the WorldConnet Tree on rootsweb, you can search other's trees, and upload your own. I think we should use this more

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 15 June 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
Can I join in  ;D

When I first started FH I joined GR as a paid member and had some success, this has dwindled now, and after a very, very distant contact put all my details on to his tree,without my permission, including my mum and boys, I wasn't happy so I have now removed my tree and ticked the box, so my subs cannot be taken out automatically from my bank.  I feel the change in GR is not for the best, Rootschat is!! ;D ;D

Everyone has different stories and I wish them luck and wish I had half of it  ;)

Jane

Hi Jane,

How do you remove the tree from the GR? And ticking that box as well?

Would appreciate your explanation on this one.

Thanks,

Tees

Offline WHS1899

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 15 June 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
I have been quite lucky with GenesReunited and found some useful contacts. However someone has recently put all my recent family info on their tree, partly my fault for putting it on my tree in the first place I know. (I have removed it now). I have contacted this person twice to ask them to remove it, but she's not replying and not removing it.
Beverley
Leics-Sharp/Baker/Underwood
Marylebone-Osborne/Tod(d)
Herts- Sear, Cato
Bucks/ Beds-Impey/Field/Hall
Herefordshire-Smallman
Glos-Poole/Byard/Smallman
Middx-Kemp/Harris/Perrin/Lee/Cooper/Morrell
Middx-Ballard
Berks-Ballard
Wilts-Ballard
Hammersmith, Middx-Cranstone