Author Topic: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!  (Read 10964 times)

Offline w105uk aka Margi :-)

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • is back from hols :-( and back at work :-(
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - GRRRR!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 22:30 BST (UK) »
i have just renewed my GR membership just under £10 for a years membership which only works out at under £1 per month ::)

aand yes I have made contact with living realtives through GR, ;D ;D

ok have had duff stuff as well...........but recently went through all my so called hot matches and deleted all the c**ppy ones and don't get pestered so much now  ;) ;)
Brook,Suffolk, London,Nottingham. <br />Goodchild, Suffolk<br />Boreham,Suffolk<br />Youngman, Suffolk, Australia<br />Day, Suffolk<br />Beckett, Suffolk<br />Last, Suffolk

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 22:47 BST (UK) »
Something amiss here  ??? I re-joined after being away for quite some time, it cost me just over £7 for 6 months, not l year !  I re subscribed in January and they are already sending me messages trying to tempt me with offers for fully paid up membership for the next six months as my membership was about to run out !  I have been a member of GR since it started and remember how well us paying folk were treated before it was all sold on and got a bit too big for its whatsits !  I was not a member for 12 months because I just got plain fed up with things not working right and getting completely ignored when asking for assistance, something that never happend in the good old days of GR :(  I finally decided to sign up again as I say in January because I was wondering if things had got any better, alas NO !  wont go into because the topic will get locked !  needless to say I wont be bothering again..  A theory of mine is - the people who dont answer your mails dont actually know about them because they didn't re-subscribe so cant actually answer you, it has to be, I have sent mails to people on GR knowing we have a connection and no answer, very frustating, now who in there right mind, with any interest in the whole thing wouldn't be jumping around with delight eh ? 

moan over, and so grateful to be able to !  rock on ROOTSCHAT !

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
 >:(oh yeah and while I am at it, my tree was a joke !  it was mixed up with someone else's for quite some time because we shared the same first name, now  how can that happen - no honestly moan over now ! ::)

carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
There are so many threads re GR on here and as many Pro's as Cons.

I am not complaining, cost me £7.50 to renew for my 5th year. The bulk of 3,400 relations have come through contacts on GR and I have been only too pleased to add my miniscule research to theirs.

Hot Matches are good and I have had very few non replies. I don't use the Boards on GR as Rootschat is far superior and comprehensive . A big plus here is that the Moderators are totally on the ball.

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 23:37 BST (UK) »
Totally agree about the moderators - where would we be they are always there to step up and sort us lot out, they dont get enough praise -  THANK YOU ALL MODERATORS we know which side our bread is buttered on this site I can tell you !

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
I was going to mention a certain media site which has many subjects including a Family History site.But didn't want to be modded out on here!So won't name it.
All the sites are retroactively Moderated!! So initially your first posting is subjected to intense scrutinyand can take up to a fortnight to be posted.!!

It seems that after that anything goes. The most innocuous comment can have replies which degenerate into abuse and (to me) crudeness .

Thank Goodness for the common sense and hard  work of our Mods.

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 07:58 BST (UK) »
I had a new one this month, someone emailed me offering me information because they thought we had a link, I replied confirming the link and saying yes please to information and ------- I've heard nothing else.

Talk about getting your hopes up! :-\  At least I hadn't sent my tree this time. :(

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 08:07 BST (UK) »
I heartily agree about the downward spirral of GenesReunited. I will not be renewing my subscription this September!
Yes, initially, I gained a lot from my membership but since they have changed the layout I really get angry with them. Every day there's an e-mail with rubbish hot matches. No one there seems to do a days work I recokon!
The site is obviously used substantially but always seems to go down when I am on it.
I enjoy Rootschat tremendously. Keep up the good work folks.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone -

I agree - GRRRR to Genes Reunited or at least some of the people who use it.

I was so excited to receive an e-mail through them from a gt.grand-daughter of my mother's cousin. Had waited a long time for some sort of a link and here it was !

However, I'm glad that initially I sent only a small amount of information as it is now over a month and I have never had a reply.  I just don't understand people like this - why did they contact me in the first place  ::) ::)

Well, now they won't get to see the photos, certificates and interesting information I have. However, I feel quite sad that I won't learn anything of what they  must know.

Genes Reunited appealed to me much more when it was Genes Connected - thank goodness for our very special Rootschat.........