Author Topic: How many requests?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How many requests?
« on: Tuesday 07 December 04 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 As a fairly new member of this fantastic website, please can you advise me on the following? How many times may we ask for lookups and also when we have been given an answer, should we delete the message or leave it there?
Many thanks from Quester  :-\

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many requests?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quester. Feel welcome to make as many requests as you wish. Always leave the thread on the board - do not try to remove it.
Please look through the Beginners Board as it describes the free resources such as freeBMD, the IGI and the 1881 census.
The GRO's search engine www.1837online.com is NOT a free resource - you pay to view.
I would also suggest that if you make  a request remember we need 3 things - Who? When? Where? You will not get many replies if you, asy, post "I am interested in William Jones". But if it is "William Jones b. about 1870 at Merthyr Tydfil, his mother may have been Olwen" - you have  a fighting chance.
Good hunting 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 02:18 GMT (UK) »
To clarify and add to Hack's helpful answer:

Feel free to make as many different requests as you like,  BUT

- Don't post the same question more than once (looker-uppers often find themselves duplicating their work)
- Please feel free to update a question with further information you may have found.
- If someone replies,  let them know if their reply is helpful to you.
- If your question remains unanswered,  ask a moderator for advice.

Good Luck,
Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 05 12:37 GMT (UK) »
This thread is worth bumping up to the top I think!

Paul