Author Topic: Owen HUGHES Clockmaker b. 1816/20  (Read 3421 times)

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen HUGHES Clockmaker b. 1816/20
« on: Thursday 14 June 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how I can possibly sort out which Owen Hughes is mine when looking for his death.  He was alive in the 1891 census age 72 in Heneglwys, Anglesey  His wife was Margaret and she was born in Bodwrog and he was born in Llanrhyddlad and baptised 12 9 1819.  He seemed to be a farmer and a clockmaker.  Short of going to the Anglesley record office which is a long way for me at the moment how do I find his death.

His children are Elizabeth 1840, William 1844, Margaret 1847, Catharine 51, Owen 1853
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Owen HUGHES Clockmaker b. 1816/20
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi There....

On the 1891 census, OWEN HUGHES, is the head of the house, living at Gadlas, Henglyws. His daughter Catherine Jones, her husband Owen, and their children are also living there....

On the 1901 census, Catherine , Owen and grace are still at this address, therefore, it is safe to assume that Owen , died there, n the preceding 10 years.....

There are two registrations for Owen Hughes, born c1819

Owen Hughes/Holyhead/March 1892/vol 11b page 455
Owen Hughes/Holyhead/Dec 1893 / vol 11b page 407

You could apply for both, but stipulate a address, a occupation and a approx birth date. It was usual to baptise a baby, within a month of it's birth. It is probably likely, that Catherine or Owen Jones registered the death........The address , I think, would be a safe bet though.......

Hope this helps

Regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi JeannieR.  Sorry to be late in getting back to you.  Now why didn't I use logic like yours.  Of course he probably died there.  The thing I don't understand is why Holyhead as Heneglwys is in the middle of Anglesey.

I am certainly going to send for the certificate, hoping that they can identify him correctly.  Thanks once again
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lois...

I have just double-checked, and Holyhead was the registration district for Heneglws, from 1881-1937.......

I suppose it was nearer than Bangor, which was also a Reg. Dis. at that time......

Regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks i am going to ring the RO on Monday and will let you know if I get the right certificate

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 14:16 BST (UK) »
Rang the RO and they were very helpful so it is looking good.

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Jeannie R.  now got the correct record