Author Topic: parish records Bishopwearmouth  (Read 4153 times)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
parish records Bishopwearmouth
« on: Friday 15 June 07 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have the marriage cert. for my ancestors Joseph Clementson and Caroline Whitecross who were married at the Parish Church Bishopwearmouth on the 28 Jan. 1839.

I'm intrigued by the fact that one of the witnesses is also Joseph Clementson. I'd be really grateful if anyone has access to the PR of Bishopwearmouth to see if there really was another Joseph Clementson or if there's been a mistake in the transcription.

I'm stuck on that side of my family as my Joseph wasn't born in Durham and only stayed there for a few years and I can't trace his father, George Clementson. Did he go there because he had family up there???

Regards

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: parish records Bishopwearmouth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 07 12:05 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
I've already tried that site but there aren't any records for Joseph and Caroline.

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 09 18:22 BST (UK) »
Yes the bishop wearmouth records are very poor online. Even with the page and folio numbers for census they are missing from ancestry. Ancestry does not have all of the census records for the UK.

The parish records are terrible in this location also. Lots of gaps. Ithink they hold some records back so you have to buy them from companies online.

Offline aries1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I live in Sunderland and I have a Joseph Clementson in my family tree. He was married to Mary and they had a daughter, Jane b. 1776 in Lanchester.

Best Wishes
Pam

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 August 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.  My index has the marriage between Stephen Clementson and Caroline Whitecross for 28 Jan 1839. 

There is a baptism in Jarrow of a George Clementson 31 Dec 1815 s/o George and Mary.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Janis and Pam.

Your answers are both very promising. I had almost given up on that branch of my family although I still have the Clementson family name.

Caroline Whitecross definately married Joseph Clementson on 28 Jan 1839 as I have the marriage cert.
Was Stephen Clementson the witness instead of Joseph as marked on the marriage certificate ? It would be interesting to see the original church entry.

On the 1941 census Joseph and Mary were living in Monk Hesleton Durham with their daughter Mary born 1840.

Perhaps Joseph who was born in 1817 was the son of George and Mary and named their first daughter after his mother?

On all the census returns from 1851, Joseph is marked as being born near Wigan, Lancashire but after hours and weeks of searching I have never found a baptism for him in Lancashire.

Caroline was born near Newcastle but was baptised in Houghton le Spring the same day as several of her brothers and sisters.

In 1851 they were back living near Wigan where they stayed until their deaths.

I don't know if Clementson was a common name in Durham.

Best wishes.

French