Author Topic: Dolwyddelan or Patagonia?  (Read 18528 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Dolwyddelan or Patagonia?
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 02:06 BST (UK) »
Here's an unrestored photo of the family, and in my opinion it was taken before they left Wales. I have been to the village in Patagonia and it doesn't look much like this...I think that is Moel Siabod in the background. What does anyone else think?

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dolwyddelan or Patagonia?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi China

It certainly could be around Dolwyddelan but it is hard to tell.

I notice that you have an interest in Williams's from Dolwyddelan and do you mind letting me have some details as I have family from the area. The furthest I have traced is Griffith Williams  born 1786 and died 1873.

I will dig out some photos to see if I can compare.

Peter

Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter, well, given that every second person in Dolwyddelan is named Williams it's not likely there's a connection, but I'll be glad to try :D

In the photo is Moses Williams, born 1863 in Dolwyddelan, married to Catherine Jane Jones in 1887 at Llanrwst (dist.), and died in Patagonia in 1918.

Son of Robert Williams, born 1831/32 in Llanrwst (dist.), married to Judith abt 1860, died 1905 in Llanrwst (dist.).

I do not have proof positive of Robert's parentage, but I do have an original marriage certificate of Moses and Catherine Jane. Robert Williams signed as a witness (the "original" is not the actual, signed, certificate but a clerk's copy) and the name on the signature line is actually Robert Robert Williams. So I believe his father must have been Robert also, but have no details. There was a Robert Williams born 1796 in Dolwyddelan according to the IGI, son of William Griffith and Ann.

That's about all I've got for you. Oh, and the Moses Williams family lived at Ty Capel.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 07 19:12 BST (UK) »
Just one or two Williams's but you never know!

Certainly if there is a connection it goes back a while. Do you have Robert and Judith's wedding in December 1/4 1859 . She appears to be an Ellis. If so you should have Robert's father. The only possible in IGI was born 1830 and if I have the correct family I have them living in Beudebach(?) Dolwyddelan. Father Robert and mother Gwen. Robert senior is a farmer and is said to be 40 which does not quite tie in with born 1796 although of course ages were to the 5 below. If you have the wedding cert you will have an address. The coincidence is that the next family lived in Penrhiw which on the 1841 is the next property. The father is William Williams aged 52. Whilst I have not tied the latter family into my tree my family were living in Penrhiw in 1851.  That family in 1851 have as head Robert Williams but he was born in 1812 and his parents appear to be Griffith and Elinor.
I hope you can follow my ramblings but I would be interested to know your Robert senior's occupation and the address if uou have them.
As far as the photo is concerned then I will attach three but it is impossible to be certain.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 07 19:16 BST (UK) »
one appeared to get lost and hopefully here it is

Peter
plus
& more

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter, what a fabulous pic of Moel Siabod, much better than anything I could find on the net. It is most certainly Moel Siabod in my photo, and taken from a very similar spot, right down to the two little "bumps" on the left! Hoorah :D

The Williamses, very interesting. I was writing my last post according to information on the sheet of paper on top of my heap, and just now dug a little deeper...Judeth is Ellis, yes, but I only got that info from the IGI and censuses. Still, Judith or Judeth is an unusual name, and my grandmother's sister's name was Judith. She was always called Dwd. Interestingly, she is not in this photo...I wonder why.

So, are Robert/Judith among your bunch, or were you just playing with the IGI?

Cheers for now,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi China

Thanks for that. The photograph was taken as you will probably know on the southern side of Dolwyddelan and the former family farm Penrhiw is situated between there and the village some 2 miles off the main road. I did visit the farm a few years ago as there is in fact a Mr Gwynedd Williams living there (or was) but his family appeared a few years after mine left although there of course could be a connection.
I was just playing with IGI to find the marriage and without the marriage certificate it is difficult for us to check any further but I will bear you in mind should I find out any more.

Best wishes

Peter
plus
& more

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 07 21:04 BST (UK) »
Okay Peter, I have just ordered the Williams/Ellis cert... we'll see in 10 days or so...

Cheers,
C
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
I look forward to hearing from you.

Incidentally the Williams's family are my mother's mother's family and Griffith Williams would be my 3xgreat-grandfather.

Peter
plus
& more