Author Topic: Workhouse, Liverpool Road, Islington  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
Workhouse, Liverpool Road, Islington
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
I have just received my g grandmothers birth cert saying she was born in Liverpool Road Workhouse, Islington in 1859. Can anyone tell me how I may find out a little bit more information about the workhouse?

Kind regards
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse, Liverpool Road, Islington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hepburn
I will look at all of those.
Kind regards Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 07 19:23 BST (UK) »
Re my last a little bit further help if anyone can. Does anyone know when a person went into a workhouse, in this case an unmarried mother, would they have to show their birth certificates/form of identity? The birth cert of my great grandmother gives her mothers name with a middle name I was not aware of. Obviously I could apply for a birth cert of her and find out but I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was the case or not? As she could not read or write I wondered how her name could appear accurate on the childs birth cert.

Best wishes
Mercel ???

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 07 18:27 BST (UK) »
In 1859, there wouldn't have been any form of identity required (the vast majority of people would have been too old to possibly have a birth certificate anyway).  Even today, it is not illegal to give a name different from that on your birth certificate in England as long as it is not done for the purposes of fraud.  You see this on the censuses a lot - people claiming to be married who aren't, changing between surnames, changing their name back to their maiden name after seperation (divorce was far too expensive for most people).

And the answer to the other question is - of course, there wasn't a sense of an 'accurate' spelling of your name among those who couldn't read or write, although some people just learnt how to write their names and not much else.  She would have given the information verbally to the registrar (or, if the birth was registered by someone from the workhouse, to the workhouse staff who then passed it on), and a good faith attempt at rendering the name accurately would have been made.  Easy if her name was Mary Smith or Jane Jones, but errors of course coming in for the more complicated names, which is why sometimes my Panters show up as Painters and my Stantons as Stantens or the Bonners as Bonnors, etc.  (Never mind my Czech g-g-grandma whose last name is misspelt in a different way on every bit of official paper I've seen!).

It does appear there are admission and discharge records for the workhouse, which might show the mother's age and where she was living before she entered (quite possibly, she came in around the time she was going to give birth, and left as soon as she was able).  Also, if she was a domestic servant, particularly if she was live-in, she would have probably have lost her job when they found out she was pregnant, and with a baby it would be difficult to get that sort of work.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 07 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jorose. I definitely understand what you are saying about the surnames. My grandmother Alice the child of Elizabeth above kept her mums maiden name and when she married my grandfather her name was spelt completely different. It was so difficult to find her on a census or even her birth. Eventually through sheer perserverance on my part did I find her.
I appreciate you taken the time out to reply, its lovely to hear/see other peoples points of views etc.

Best wishes Mercel