Author Topic: who were his parents  (Read 4308 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
who were his parents
« on: Saturday 13 March 04 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me find the parents of David Kennedy,born in Dundee 31st July 1810.David married Margaret Nicol 1st April 1834 Mains and Srathmartine.I would also like to know when census records started in Scotland as i would like to find Davids siblings.Thankyou.Anne. ???
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: who were his parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

David's Kennedy, dob 31/7/1810, christened 14/8/1810, Dundee. parents were William Kennedy and Margaret Cowans. If you check out the Scotland's People site, you will find their date of marriage.

The first offical census in Scotland was 1801.

Regards
Linda
Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,thankyou for your help.I shouldnt have posted a date of birth for David as this is what i think it was.The only thing i know for sure is his marriage date.I found 3 birth parents for David and going off the year his wife was born i presumed 1810 was about right for David so in fact i still havent got his true birth date and i still dont know if Margaret Cowans and William Kennedy are his parents.Its my fault like i say i shoulnt have posted a birth date that was based on suspicions.Anyway Linda it was very kind of you to look and i am really grateful.Thankyou.Anne.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 05 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Firstly,
Do you know when David died?  Also do you know when Margaret died? Did they die in Scotland?
The best thing to do is, if they died in Scotland,
I always go for the wifes death first. Because Scottish records are crossreferenced, you can search for the maiden name and also then the marriage name, and when you match the index number you should have the right person. Then it should say if she was a widoe or not and then it gives you something for looking for the husband.
Did they die in Scotland?
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 January 05 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenjo,Margarets maiden name was Nicol and she died at 85 Cowgate Dundee 19th July 1886 aged 79.I have Margarets parents as Alexander Nicol and Jane Cant.Margaret married David Kennedy at Mains and Strathmartin 1st April 1834.I have the 1881 census for 85 Cowgate Dundee with Margaret and 3 of her children she is aged 75,she is listed as married but there was no mention of David.They had a son named David and i am now beginning to think that David left Dundee with his son and went to live in Maybole Ayrshire and that David and Margaret split up as a married couple.I have no details at all for David except his marriage date,i cant find a death date or birth date for him.I have been tearing my hair out for 3 years now looking for him and have in fact given it up as a bad job.Thankyou Kenjo for replying,maybe when i am old and grey i will hit on something and it will all fall in to place.Anne.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 January 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Did you find any of the children marrying after 1881?
If you find one marrying, it will give info on David, his job, and you maybe able to see a connection with the 1881 census entry. If he was an absconder, it may say also.
use scotlandspeople.
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 January 05 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Kenjo,thankyou again for your help.I know David was a stonemason.I am going to have a look at the latter day saints site and see if i can find anything on Their childrens marriages.Anne.