Author Topic: Garnett family of Cowen Bridge and Leck  (Read 5135 times)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garnett family of Cowen Bridge and Leck
« on: Sunday 17 June 07 21:37 BST (UK) »
I've spent ages looking for people who might be researching the Garnett family born in and around Cowen Bridge and Leck, but haven't found a soul. The family was quite big and I doubt it would have entirely died out but me!!!  :'(

I have James Garnett married to Ann and they had the following children...

Elizabeth b.1790 Cowen Bridge
Robert b.1793 d.1801 Cowen Bridge
Ann b.1796 Cowen Bridge
Mary b.1799 Cowen Bridge she married Robert Parker Wilson d.1855 buried in Leck
Alice b.1803 Leck her married name was Alice Murray d.1873  buried in Leck
Isabel b.1805 Leck
Robert b.1807 Leck

Robert Parker Wilson and Mary Garnet had the following children all born around the same district...

William b.1831
Robert Garnet Wilson b.1833 d.1861 buried in Leck
Elizabeth b.1836 d.1924 buried in Lancaster
Alice b.1838
Edward b.1842
Mary Ann b.1844 d.1853

If anyone can fit these folks onto their family tree I'd appreciate their help as I have come to a stand still. I do have info on part of the family (my line) in exchange for any info that can help me. Please do have a look to see if these people fit any of your branches....  :-[

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Re: Garnett family of Cowen Bridge and Leck
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello 'ladyholme'

Whilst searching for Varey family in this region i came across the name 'Garnett & Garnet' in your work.

My ggrandmother was a Matilda Varey (b1854; d1934 Vic Australia) born to a ROBERT GARNET VAREY and Jane Hool.

Robert is an enigma to me and my research.  He and first wife Jane md in Lancaster, 1840.  They had a daughter Margaret in late 1840.

However, they emigrated to Australia c1841 and settled in Victoria.  Records from there are patchy and somewhat contradictory/confusing!  Robert we believed was born in 1809 in Monmouth, but i've not been able to find any record on this.  Then in records (early writings on the settlers) it says he was from Wales and was part of the Welsh community there.  But again other dates are inconsistent so it is all rather unreliable. 

In death/cemetery records (again somewhat deficient) Robert's daughter who died at 17 in Victoria is described as his daughter of Robert who was "late of Westmoreland"??!!  Given this reference and the middle name of Garnet[t] im wondering if there is a link between families.  Robert's father was 'John' :  that's all i know.  Would this ring any bells?

Regards
Julie

BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I'm sorry to say that none of your names ring any bells in connection with 'my' lot...if I dare call them 'my' lot!!! It is a long time since I wrote the request in about the Garnetts of Leck etc and I know quite a bit about them now, but I don't recall hearing the names of Varey or Hool along with them.

How brave Robert and Jane must have been to go and settle in Australia in 1841 and travelling with such a small child too. The journey in those days was hard and took months...must have been hell on earth...or sea perhaps. Do you live in Australia? It does seem strange that the family thought he was from Monmouth and then the records verifying this by saying he was part of the Welsh community. Yet like you, I have not found any births in Wales around that time for a Robert Varey. I suppose it is possible that he might have lived amongst the Welsh Community in Australia and that resulted in everyone believing he was Welsh...

I would wonder what made him marry Jane in Lancaster in 1840 if he was born and living in South Wales. It seems such a long way to go to get married. I do hope you find your answers. Regards Ladyholme

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello 'ladyholme',
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I am Australian and reside in Brisbane, although Melbourne, Victoria was my home town long ago.   
I'm going to play with Robert's middle name now!  I have thought it was a nickname given he went to the Victorian goldfields and his luck lay with finding garnets only! 
'Garnet' most likely then was the maiden name of his mother or grandmother so i will look into it.
Best regards for your work,
Julie

Offline AdeyGarnett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm the Grt grt grt grt grandson of the Farmers William Garnett and then George Garnett his son of Kirfitt Hall Farm in the 1800's  near Kirkby Lonsdale / Casterton, Westmoreland, if that helps in your search.
Armistead,Bargh,Bibby,Bindloss,Blamire,Bownass,Cottam,Capstick,Garnett,Harrison,Hodgson,Hoggarth,Huck,Lawson,Oliver,Simpson,Willan,Wilson (Lancs/Westmorland/Cumbria/Yorks)

Davis,Lees,Oscroft,Todd,Warden (Notts,Lincs)

Caddick,Riggott (Derbys)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 November 19 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adey,

I was chuffed to hear from you....it always helps when you have someone to discuss FH with. I can only presume there is a good connection between the families as they are indeed within the same locality. I come down the Robert Garnett (abt 1700) line...his son George 1721....his son James 1763....his daughter Mary Garnett 1798 would be my Gtx3 grandmother and she married into the Parker Wilson family. However, for many years I have known that we were in some way related to the Carus family and I am the custodian of a very worn out silver thimble that was supposedly given to my Gt x2 grandmother from relations in the Carus family. For a long time I did presume it was probably the Wilsons, but recently I have changed my mind and think maybe it was to do with the Garnett's. Have you any connections with the above and or to the Carus family of Casterton? Hoping you have a few moments to reply. Regards Ladyholme.

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello 'Ladyholme'.
Thanks for you very kind considerations.
Now being Aug 2020 i have not done FH/genealogy on my late parents' trees; largely just housekeeping of very lateral enteries or responding to Ancestry 'hints'.
I'm resigned now to not 'flogging a dead horse'!
I trust you are successful in your work.
Kind regards,
Julie.

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
I have a few Garnetts in Kendal, but the nearest to Cowan Bridge would be a Maggie Jane Garnett b.1883 (registered?) in Kirkby Lonsdale, daughter of Thomas and Isabella (I think!). She married a Watson Carling from Shipley in about 1907.

regards....
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
Thank Palladium for your thoughtfulness.
I'm not doing consistent work these days on my trees now that 15 years have passed and have not found much re my 'loose ends'.
One day i might look my 'Garnet' up!
Kind regards,
Julie,
Queensland, Australia.