Author Topic: Th'owd Chapel  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Th'owd Chapel
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 11 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Luckily my husband is rather more skilled in computer know-how than I am, and he has scanned the booklet and put it into a pdf file. 

If you will send me a Personal Message (use the little green scroll icon on the left of this message) with your email address, I will send you the file.  Hope it is helpful to you.  My grandfather George Thomas Hurst ("yung Tom") is shown on the page of photos and gt-grandfather John Hurst "Mesthur Hurst" is shown with his choir (centre back). 

I'm attaching to this a photo of the Ebenezer deacons, taken I would guess around 1890.  I can identify most of them  as follows:
Back row l-r  Elijah Fletcher, Benjamin Taylor, Simeon Butterworth, unknown
Front row l-r  Stephen Nuttall, John Hurst, Rev D.O.Davies, unknown, Edmund Thompson.

Hairy lot, aren't they?  Any relatives among them?

Gillg

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ashgroveguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 October 11 01:59 BST (UK) »
If anyone on this thread has any info on the Rev Alfred Pickles, particularly after 1891, or any info about his service at the North End Baptist Chapel in Towcester, or his service at the Water Street Ebenezer Baptist Chapel in Rochdale or if anyone has a copy of the following sermon he preached (the book itself is out-of-print) "Turkey, Russia, England, and the Jews: A Sunday evening's lecture, delivered in the Baptist Chapel, Water Street, Rochdale, February 10th, 1878 by Alfred Pickles (1878)" I would love to hear from you. I have the info on the Towcester Chapel from RootsWeb, Gill is emailing the book on the Chapel, and i have census info from 1871 - 1891, plus a bankrupt notice from the Edinburgh Gazette in 1891, plus I know where he died and when. Aren't family oddbods a real treasure to find!
Pickhills, Yorkshire

Offline daniel tay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Th'owd Chape
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 May 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have a Simeon Butterworth in family tree.
TAYLOR, WHTEHEAD, KERSHAW. THWAITES,BERRY,DALLIMORE, WARREN,HOLT.
Lancashire, Rochdale, castleton,oldham,
SOMERSET.

Offline ashgroveguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 May 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
I now have a full copy of "Turkey, Russia, England, and the Jews: A Sunday evening's lecture, delivered in the Baptist Chapel, Water Street, Rochdale, February 10th, 1878 by Alfred Pickles (1878)"  if anyone is interested. It is a very long lecture that I am glad I didn't have to sit through.
Pickhills, Yorkshire

Offline daniel tay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
The Benjamin Taylor could be mine, he lived in Rochdale I know the street name too, I also believe that we may have a link to Simeon Butterworth and details of some- else who has more details on him. The photo of Benjamin looks very like my dad now.
Regards Day Tay
TAYLOR, WHTEHEAD, KERSHAW. THWAITES,BERRY,DALLIMORE, WARREN,HOLT.
Lancashire, Rochdale, castleton,oldham,
SOMERSET.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Day Tay

I think we may have been in touch before. :)  If you would like a copy of the booklet, please send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you.  I don't know how good your Rochdale dialect is, but if you read it aloud, you'll get most of it!

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.