Author Topic: "Loaning Estate" 1901 Pebbles area  (Read 7653 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
"Loaning Estate" 1901 Pebbles area
« on: Monday 18 June 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Is there a place called the "Loaning Estate" in or around Pebbles ?
I found it in 1901 and it was owned by an..... Eliza Veitch.
Would be interested if it is still there.
Thanks in advance!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: "Loaning Estate" 1901 Pebbles area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 06:14 BST (UK) »
http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/manuscripts/search/detaild.cfm?DID=20044

There is a reference to the loaning here so it must have existe
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 06:14 BST (UK) »
existed (sorry) then i will have a look and see if i can find any more modern reference to it
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
thanks Poppy..yes it did exist..
In 1901 my Grandmother worked there as a "Domestic Tablemaid"
I have a picture of the house.Also have one of her and 2 female servants  in the garden and one picture  of the interior dining room.(would love the paintings in the house)
The The names are:
#1 ..Lindsay H WILSON ...born 1866 in Paisley.
#2..Katherine S DEERNESS ...born 1864 in Birdsay,Orkney.
#3..Jane BRUCE...born 1869 in Lauder,Berwick.. *(my Grannie)*.
I am always interested in further info on "The Loaning"
Thanks to all in advance.

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 07 17:25 BST (UK) »
There is an area of fairly new houses in Peebles called the Loaning. This may be from part of the Loaning Estate. I see from  old maps.co.uk that there were a couple of places where it could have been. I am going on holiday shortly but will see what I can find out for you.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Excel...that was kind of you to take a look .

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
when you're granny was working there on the 1901 census, what exactly was the address, or was it just 'the loaning'.  i will ask my mum for you, my family is from peebles and there is not very much my mum and my auntie don't know about the town!

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 07 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy...The address in 1901 census was listed as just "The Loaning" and an ELIZA H VEITCH was the Head...I will assume her husb (?) was dec'.
I sort of heard the old place is now gone,
I did send a picture on to the Tweedsmuir Museum Via someone on Rootschat.
I do not have access to the 1911 to see if it was still there at that point.
This is a fantastic site..

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
http://www.oldemaps.co.uk/Peebles-map-2.jpg
this will tell you where it was so you can compare it to modern maps

http://www.peeblesshirenews.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=911&format=html
this doesn't mention the loaning but it does tell you about the veitch family, a big name in peebles