Author Topic: "Loaning Estate" 1901 Pebbles area  (Read 7647 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: "Loaning Estate" 1901 Pebbles area
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 07 18:07 BST (UK) »
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/moretpix241.html
this site has interesting photos of peebles
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 07 18:23 BST (UK) »
Poppy...many thanks,I have now visited the 3 sites,copied the map,I always use maps as it helps keep names and places in perspective.
That Veitch history was very enlightening,need to figure out if Eliza H (Head of loaning 1901)was of that family...see..you go down one road and end up on another...
thanks again for your time.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline katrina871

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 July 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
thanks Poppy..yes it did exist..
In 1901 my Grandmother worked there as a "Domestic Tablemaid"
I have a picture of the house.Also have one of her and 2 female servants  in the garden and one picture  of the interior dining room.(would love the paintings in the house)
The The names are:
#1 ..Lindsay H WILSON ...born 1866 in Paisley.
#2..Katherine S DEERNESS ...born 1864 in Birdsay,Orkney.
#3..Jane BRUCE...born 1869 in Lauder,Berwick.. *(my Grannie)*.
I am always interested in further info on "The Loaning"
Thanks to all in advance.

Hi ajjbc,

I've been doing some research on the Bruce family as I am descended from the Bruce's on my mother's side. My great grandfather is William Robert Bruce, born 1895 in Lauder and he is Jane Bruce's younger brother. I had never been able to find out what happened to Jane as the last record in Scotland is the 1911 census when she was working as a tablemaid in Edinburgh. I assumed that she had moved abroad, but I had no idea where to begin. I found your post when researching The Loanings and was shocked and delighted to see that Jane moved to Canada. I would love to know more information and see any photos that you have. I'd also love to be able to fill you in with any details that you may be missing.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Katrina

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
Katrina,
             Oh my gosh......great to hear from another Bruce researcher. Yes I have your great grandfather noted as born Apr 27 1895 in Lauder and died Mar 17 1976 in Edinburgh. Have him married to Isabela Granger Lancaster born Aug 5 1894 in Cannongate and died Jun 3 1971 in Edinburgh.
   There is more...but....email me at...AJJBCatSHAWdotCA....I think you can figure that out.
                    Cheers for now   Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 July 19 05:14 BST (UK) »
Katrina
    Where did you go to ?
Would love to hear back from you.