Author Topic: Jackson Bampton  (Read 29297 times)

Offline Flass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson Bampton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 October 07 02:43 BST (UK) »
Deborah, very interested in what you say about Simon Jackson of Crosby.  His wife was definitely Eleanor Dent (daughter of Anthony Dent, born 1680, son of Robert Dent of Trainlands, Maulds Meaburn, my direct ancestor - my father still owns Trainlands).  Anthony's sister Isabel Salkeld mentions her niece EleanorJackson in her will.  Can you tell me more about Simon Jackson and what you have found of his family? What does a2a mean?  Tell me more about your study of Crosby, I may be able to help.
Nick Dent

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 07 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

As Trainlands is still in your family, do you know of any Ellwood tenants that lived there?

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Simon Jackson & Elinor Dent
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 07 12:56 BST (UK) »
Nick
I've given pretty much all the information I have.

a2a is 'access to archives'.  www.a2a.org.uk.  The Cumbria Record Offices provide very good notes on their records.  Most of the information I have on Simon Jackson is just pulled from this website.   I would love to look at the original sources but I'm a long way from Cumbria and it would cost me a fortune to request copies of everything!

I also have the rental payments for the mills.  Simon was paying £8 a year for Crosby Mill, then £11 a year for Meaburn Mill and then back to £8 a year on Crosby again.  I don't have any information on him after 1754 when he escaped from custody (on 30 March).

His eldest son John was involved in an altercation at CR just after this.  I think another of his sons (Simon) ends up working as a miller in Newby, Morland.  He also had a son called Anthony.  I have found 2 references to Anthony Jacksons working as millers but I haven't confirmed they are one and the same.  His daughter Sarah may marry in CR in 1777 but she also seems to move away

Let me know if there is something particular that you want to know.  I assume that you are more interested in the Dents than the Jacksons however.

There are two Elinor Dents: the daughter of Anthony christened on 9 Mar 1708; the daughter of William of Trainlands christened on 24 Oct 1716.  I think Anthony and William are brothers.  I came to the conclusion that Anthony's daughter married Simon Jackson and William's daughter married George Whitehead.  It sounds as if you know this to be a fact.  I would appreciate any information you have.

You mention the will of Isabel Salkeld (nee Dent).  I asssume you have seen the Dent wills but have you also seen the will of Agnes Burra?  She was the mother of Elinor Burra who married Robert Dent of Trainlands.  Her daughter Elinor married Robert Dent.  Agnes leaves quite a few bequests.  In particular she leaves money to her grandchild Anthony Dent and in the next sentence leaves money to Elinor and Margaret the children of Anthony Dent.

Agnes was a Salkeld as well.  She lived to the age of 88 and seems to have been living with her daughter Elinor at Trainlands when she died.

My husband is descended from one branch of CR Salkelds.  I started off researching his family history but then I got hooked on CR generally.  I have been doing a one place study of CR (upto the 1800s only) over the last 2-3 years.  When my children are a bit older, I hope to spend a few days in CR to get the feel of it.

So I would love any information that you have on your family or CR that I can't glean from the normal family history sources.  I have lots of wills, some estate records, land tax records, records of marriage licence.

In particular, what do you know about Elizabeth Winter (and her family) who married Robert Dent in 1616?

regards
Deborah

Offline Flass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 07 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Deborah, very interesting and apologies for not responding as quickly as you did: work + 3 and 1 year olds intervened...

I am more interested in Dents than Jacksons but I have a long-term project of having a family tree of all descendants in all lines of my earliest Dent ancestor so would want to trace the Jackson line as well ideally.  So your info is great to have.

I can tell you as much as you like about Crosby and Maulds Meaburn - difficult to know where to start. As my family lived in Meaburn from 1616 then numerous houses/farms in both villages have some kind of family connection.

Eleanor Whitehead being the daughter of William Dent comes from a 19th century family tree of ours, which I am pretty sure is right - not least because the social hierarchies were very rigid there and then and the William Dents and the Whiteheads were both prosperous yeoman families on the way up and Anthony Dent's family was not thanks to Anthony's fecklessness or worse. 

Yes, I have seen Agnes Salkeld/Burra of Trainlands' will.  V impressed with the level of detail you have on all this.

Which of the branches of Crosby Salkelds is your one?  I was given about 10 years ago by a gentleman called Robert Salkeld (who had carried out a one-name study of Salkelds) some very good family trees: do you have these?  My copies are currently deposited in the Crosby parish archives which was set up a couple of years ago.  One branch lived at a cottage now called Fern Cottage in Crosby, which now belongs to myself and my brother and sister.  Another branch lived a few doors up in a house now owned by Mr and Mrs Risk, who are leading lights in the Local History Society and have researched the history of their house.

On Robert Dent/Elizabeth Winter, what is your particular interest?  Elizabeth was the daughter of Anthony Winter of Trainlands, ie the Dents first acquired Trainlands by marriage.  Back then it was only 20 acres or so though and is now about 300 so there has been steady accretion over the years.  We have a couple of early deeds (deposited in Kendal archives; my notes of which are in Crosby parish archive...!) mentioning him and I have his will I think.  There were lots of Winters in Meaburn in the 17th c., probably related to each other but not in any way now traceable (I have tried).  Elizabeth's death is not recorded in the parish registers - they are a bit patchy because the vicar was first thrown out during teh Commonwealth and then decrepit.

Here is something I wrote a while back as the first section of a family history (still in progress...): "The first definite ancestor of our family is Robert Dent, who was married at Crosby Ravensworth Church on 8th December 1616 to Elizabeth Winter. In the following year their first child was born, and her baptism in Crosby parish register gives her as daughter of Robert Dent of Trainlands. This is the first mention of Trainlands in the parish registers, but Robert's father-in-law Anthony Winter is called "of Maulds Meaburn late of Trainlands" in his will of 1627, and simply of Trainlands in the inventory. It seems likely that he was previously owner of Trainlands and transferred it to his daughter and son-in-law at some stage.  (The significance of this gift was marked by Robert and Elizabeth calling their eldest son Anthony in 1624, departing from the normal tradition of naming the eldest son after the paternal grandfather.)  In 1626 a list of landowners in the manorial records shows Anthony Winter as one of the few freeholders in Meaburn, and no Dent is listed for either freehold or customary land. The central core of Trainlands was freehold. Certainly he sold some other land near Trainlands to Robert in 16[ ], at which time he had already moved to Meaburn. In his will he leaves nothing to Elizabeth, although Robert is his executor, which suggests that he had already made provision for her.  That provision remains in the family, just short of 400 years later."

Gillian, on your question about Ellwoods, yes the first tenants of Trainlands after the orphaned Dent children went to live with their uncle in London c 1803 were Ellwoods.  The parish registers to 1812 show 3 mentions of Ellwoods of Trainlands and I have a feeling that they were there until 1820s.

Will try to respond more quickly next time.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 November 07 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

What an interesting reply! I love anything to do with the history of Crosby Ravensworth. You probably know Teddy Relph of CR who has a wealth of CR local history knowledge.

As far as I know, Ellwoods lived at Trainlands from at least 1803 until 1826. There were two families:

1) John senior & wife Mary and then 2nd wife Sarah Armstrong + son John junior & wife Mary Ruddock (1803 - 1812).

2) Mark Ellwood & wife Isabel Bird (1815 - 1826).

I do not know if the two families are connected. I don't know where John Ellwood senior/junior or Mark Ellwood were born. A lot of WES Ellwoods originated from Dufton. Maybe these ones did too. Does anyone have any information?

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Flass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Gillian, Yes I know Ted very well, spoke to him this week in fact.  Thanks for your information about the Ellwoods.
Kind regards
Nick

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 November 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

My mum says another branch of our family, the Johnsons, from Crosby Ravensworth rented Tenter Row from the Dent family. Tenter Row was eventually bought by the Johnsons. It has now been sold on.

Gillian

Offline Flass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 November 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Tommy Johnson (whom my father remembers well) and his father (Richard?) as you say rented Tenter Row from us and my grandfather sold it in 1959.  Tommy and his father were I think blacksmiths and smallholders.  It's a nice house from the outside (I've never been in) and was up for sale for a fairly chunky amount, fortunately I forget the tiny amount my grandfather sold it for....

Moderator Comment: Modified to remove details of living person.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 November 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

My great uncle Tom lived at Tenter Row along with his family and my great grandma Margaret Johnson nee Ellwood. Margaret's husband Richard Johnson was a blacksmith at the smithy which was the postoffice when I was a child and is now the CR archive. There were two more Johnson generations of blacksmiths at CR, Richard's father Thomas (who also was landlord of the Butcher's Arms) and his father Richard who I believe came from Hilton outside Appleby.

Uncle Tom's sister was my gran Mary Ellwood nee Johnson. She lived at Lyvennet. My grandparents had the house built.

Regards,

Gillian
Moderator Comment: Modified (a bit late!) to remove details of living person