Author Topic: Coroners report 1843 Stepney  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Little Mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coroners report 1843 Stepney
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 19:23 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise me on how I can get hold of a copy of a coroners report?
The coroner was W Baker, Mile end Old Town. It was 1843 for a William Rich age 37 who died at Devonshire Street, Stepney.
I have no idea how to go about viewing the report so any info would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

Regards
Little Mac
Rich - London/Middlesex/Somerset
Wells - London/Surrey
Booth - Richmond/Wimbledon
Horton - London/Staffordshire

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coroners report 1843 Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
Here is what the LMA have - not all survive, though.  I had a look at the Times but couldn't see anything on William - Mr Baker, on the other hand, who was the coroner of the 'eastern division of Middlesex' turns up both in mentions of other inquests and also being criticized in 1843 for not being reliable - turning up hours late to inquests.  The coroner of the western division, Mr Wakeley, was unwell, though, and Mr Baker seems to have been covering much of his work as well.

It unfortunately looks to me like (from the LMA), that eastern division of Middlesex records have not survived for your dates.  You still might be able to find a newspaper record of the event - when exactly did he die, is there a date for the inquest, and what was the cause of death?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 15:02 BST (UK) »
  :D Hi Jorose, thanks for looking that up...William died 17/06/1843 at 9 Devonshire Street of "Natural death epilepsy" well that's according to Mr Baker! It was recorded on 22/06/1843.  William was only 37 and left a wife and small son. 
Regards Little Mac
Rich - London/Middlesex/Somerset
Wells - London/Surrey
Booth - Richmond/Wimbledon
Horton - London/Staffordshire

Offline CambridgeReader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 February 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hey Little Mac - still active? _ I am very interested in the Rich family, as if I get my lines right, William Riche's small son is the start of my tree for the Riches in my family