Author Topic: Hayes of Ballymacreely, Killinchy and Dunmurry  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes of Ballymacreely, Killinchy and Dunmurry
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
From Registry of Deeds - a number of Hay deeds were registered in Dublin in 1804 - below are some shorthand notes I made when researching Ballymacreely townland --

559/261/3774490
Deed registered 21 March 1804
A memorial of a deed dated 19 March 1796 & made between Samuel Hay of Ballymacreely & John Hay son to said Samuel Hay concerning land in possession of James Gourly & formerly possessed by James Frew, Michael & Widow Dumphrey, Wm Clarkey & Widow Auld held & occupied by said John Hay containing 8 acres, 3 rood with 12 acres moss
WD & WM - Hugh Hay, Ballymacreely farmer & Bryan Doran, Belfast Attorney

560/187/374492
Registered 9 March 1804
A memorial of a lease bearing date 9 March 1804 & made between John Hay of Ballymacreely, farmer & Hugh Hay of Ballymacreely concerning lands in possession of James Hay & Robert Hay bounded by George Aud jun, Logan's part, Hugh Hay senior, Samuel Hay jun, Alex Wilson & Hugh Hay jun
WD & WM - Bryan Duran, Belfast, clerk & James Anderson of Killinchy

570/36/379340
Deed registered 8 Nov 1804
A memorial of indented deed of 15 Dec 1797 & made between Samuel Hayes of Ballymacreely farmer & James Gourley of Ballymacreely farmer -- land Ballymacreely in his actual possession & his wife Jane Gorley orse Hayes for lives of said Samuel Hays
Witness to deed -Wm Robinson of Raffrey, weaver & Wm Gourley Ballymacreely, farmer
Witnesses to memorial - said Wm Gourley & Michael Jennings of Downpatrick, writing clerk

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Registered deeds continued - Ballymacreely

521/452/343302
Registered 25 Jan 1800
A mem of a deed dated 20 Jan 1800 & made between James McConnell of Ballymacreely, farmer & Savage Lowry of Ballow Gent in consideration for the sum of £417 did assign that portion of Ballymacreely containing 9a, 3r, 30 p & Bounded on the north by the old road to Killinchy to the East by Sam & John Hays lands; to south by Rev Hamilton Frail's & west by the late James McConnel's for lives (not named):
WD & WM - Richard Keown, Gent & Ber'd Ranaghan, yeoman Downpatrick

595/412/408652
Registered 3 May 1808
A memorial of a deed 13 Aril 1796 & made between Samuel Hays sen of Ballymacreely & Samuel Hays jun his son -- land -- lying alongside Thomas Osborn's -- meadow of 9a, 2r, 13p at yearly rent of £4-8d together with that farm of land lately possessed by Thomas Hays brother of the said Samuel Hays sen, rent £5-13sh
WD & WM  - Wm Clark & James Anderson & Michael Connor of Belfast writing clerk
(note - a deed dated 18 Dec 1764 & registered 13 Feb 1766 & made between Francis Eddins the elder & Wm Eddins of Ballymacreely 11 acres cunningham measure was bounded on one side by Thomas Hay).

595/513/408654
Registered 13 May 1808
A memorial of a deed 26 Feb 1805 and made between Samuel Hays sen & Samuel Hays junior his son - concerning lad intended to be given to his son James Hay in America containing 9a, 2r and also the farm occupied by James Conolly known by the name of soldier James Hay containing 12a, 1r in Ballymacreely rent £8:0:8
WD - John & Hugh Hay Ballymacreely
WM - said John Hay & Michael Connor, Belfast

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hay deeds Ballymacreely continued

145/526/99812 (this is the earliest deed with reference to Hay family)
Registered 7 Aug 1751
A mem of a deed dated 5 April made between Michael Echlin & Samuel Hay, Ballymacreely farmer - land in possession of James Hay -- for 3 lives or 100 years -- lives of said Samuel Hay, Thomas Hay & Hugh Hay brothers to said Samuel Hay - rent £24
WD & WM - Hugh Echlin of Echlin's Grove & James Hay of Ballymacreely, farmer

155/377/105122
Registered 3 Oct 1752
A memorial of lease & release 17 & 18 Jun 1752 and made between Michael Echlin & Samuel Hay of Ballymacreely, farmer -- concerning a parcel of land possessed by said Samuel Hay -- and also that parcel possessed by James Hay father to the said Samuel Hay for the lives of Hugh Hay, James Hay, John Hay brother and sons to the said Samuel Hay.
WD & WM - John Moor Ballybredock & Henry Willey, Killyleagh, merchant
(Note - looks like James Hay is the progenitor of the Ballymacreely family)

568/479/383800
Registered 16 Ap 1815
A deed of conveyance dated 14 April 1805 & made between Hugh Hay of Ballymacreely, farmer & James Gourly farmer of same place -- in consideration of £120 -- land in Ballymacreely in possession of James Hay & Robert Hay bounded by George & James Logan's part, Hugh Hay senior & Samuel Hay jun, Alexander Willson & Hugh Hay junior's part -- containing 10a, 1r & also part of the rocks in possession of James, Hugh & Robert Hays containing 2acres at yearly rent £3-8sh
WD & WM - Richard Keown & Michael Jennings, Downpatrick.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Final deeds Hay of Ballymacreely

578/273/388
Registered 3 Nov 1805
A memorial of a deed 18 July 1799 & made between Samuel Hay of Ballymacreely, Killinchy farmer & James Hay son of John Hay of Ballymacreely --Samuel Hay did make over unto said James Hay an annual sum of £2-6-10 for & during natural life of said James Hay
WD &  WM - Wm Robinson, weaver of Raffrey & John Hay of Ballymacreely, farmer

578/273/388536
Registered 23 Nov 1805
A memorial of a lease dated 17 July 1799 & made between Samuel Hay of Ballymacreely farmer & Wm McGamley of Ballymacreely, shoemaker -- land surveyed containing 4 acres and a half acre of bog & then in possession of Wm Gormley for & during natural lives of Hugh, James & John Hay of Ballymacreely yearly rent of £5-1-2
WD & WM - Hugh Hay Ballymacreely farmer & Wm Robinson, Raffrey weaver
(Note McGamley & Gormly used interchangeably)

574/545/3920034
Registered 19 April 1805
A memorial of a deed 24 Nov 1790 & made between Hugh Hay, Ballymacreely & John Hay his brother of Ballymacreely -- land 3a, 16 p -- for lives of James Hays, George Hays & Hugh Hays, 3 sons of said John Hays --annual rent £3-17-4
WD & WM - Wm Clarke Ballymacreely & Dan Hawkins, Ballymacreely & Geo Logan of Ballow & Richd Keown

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 April 21 01:08 BST (UK) »
There is an Ancestry record of the marriage of David Hay to Ann Hay. Unfortunately  though I have details of the fathers and witnesses I can’t see where I got them from! Normally I would only record those if I  had seen the original record but 1827 is too early for records on IrishGenealogy site where I usually find them.
Any ideas on where the info came from / how to view the original record?
Thank you.

Wit Samuel Hay jun. Ballymacreely: John Hamilton, Carragullan. Ann's address Ballow
Ann's father George, David's father Samuel

Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898

Name: Ann Hay
Marriage Date: 2 Nov 1827
Marriage Place: Presbyterian, Killinchy, Down, Ireland
Spouse: David Hay
FHL Film Number 824373
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline wiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 April 21 02:21 BST (UK) »
I have found a  mention on Ros Davies site that  James HOGG died 1816 aged 62y ( b abt 1854) and his wife Susannah HAY died 1808 aged 46y ( b abt 1762) both of Ballymacreely, and buried Killinchy First Presbyterian Church.
I believe these are my ancestors who may have had a son Jacob HOGG and a son, James HOGG. If I am on the right track, Jacob HOGG was a baker in Ballynahinch. William BARR of Ballynahinch left 40 quid to Jacob's daughter ' Sally' in his 1809 Will. I found 2 daughters for sure:
 Sarah, b abt 1807 who married John HARPER ( I have 2 DNA matches to this line) ( she died New Cumnock, Ayrshire, have death cert which states Jacobs wife was Jane McCALLOW/McCALLA ), and
 Eleanor HOGG who married, first, James NOUGHER/NOGHER/NOCHER who was murdered in 1850. Eleanor remarried James JOHNSTON 1856.  I have found some children for her, and her Will
There may also have been a daughter, Deborah HOGG b abt 1803 who married William HARPER. She died 1896 in Clintnagooland. I have found a number of children for her.
There is probably a daughter Susannah HOGG as well as that name was a constant in many descendants family lines including my GGrandmother born in England 1856.
 Another Deborah HOGG born about 1820 married Hugh McATEER ( I have many dna matches to this line on Chromosome 18). This Deborah may be the daughter of James HOGG, a weaver, possibly of Long Stone ( 1819 Directory).
I also have dna matches on chromosome 18 for Robert LENNOX and his wife who is shown as Anne HARE, born abt 1765 in Trees online, however I am wondering if the name might be HAY/HAYE/HAYES etc.
I would love to find more details on any of these folk. The LDS offices are closed due to covid, so I can't order any films.
Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers
Jo ( Australia)

Hi Jo,

I'm also from Australia, and have the same HOGG/HARPER lines, descending from James HOGG and Susannah HAY.  I'm from the Sarah HOGG m. John HARPER line, which has descendants spread throughout Scotland, England, most states in Australia (but mainly Tasmania), NZ, the US and Canada.  The spread is shown by the listing of heirs to James Patterson HARPER, Sarah and John's unmarried son, who died intestate with a considerable fortune:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/80269967?searchTerm=%22james%20patterson%20harper%22

I have recently been DNA matched to three descendants in the line of Deborah HOGG who married William HARPER, - it is possible that this could be a HARPER match (or both HOGG and HARPER). 

I have the Ancestry information on three branches of Deborah's line, but would love to hear about yours and the Eleanor HOGG branch, and am happy to share mine.

Thanks

Jenny

Goding: Banwell {Somerset} to Vic {Aus}
Howell: Cheltenham {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Brown: Wandsworth {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Hawken: Cornwall to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McLellan: Buchlyvie {Scot} to Vic {Aus}
Morey: Dorset to Tas {Aus}
Grachan: Clare {Ire} to TAS {Aus}
Wellard: Kent to TAS {Aus}
Naylor: Yorkshire to Vic {Aus}
Magee: Clare {Ire} to SA {Aus}
Crockford: Berkshire to Victoria {Aus}
Patterson: Angus to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McBeth: Westminster {UK} to Sydney {Aus} 
Mason: Stepney {UK} to Sydney {Aus}

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 April 21 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny
Lovely to hear from you! I have one DNA match via Deborah and 2 via Sarah ( on ancestry Thrulines)..I have many more dna matches not being picked up yet. A couple of days ago, I played around with the robots on ancestry and moved my James to be the son of Jacob, instead of a brother, and I finally got a couple of my Chromosome 18 dna matches to show up in Thrulines, which had hitherto eluded me. However, they come up as Half rather full relatives as they are via a Deborah born abt 1820ish so I am fiddling around with them as we speak...she is either a daughter of Jacob and his second wife or a daughter of a  son of Jacob's...possibly my James, or his wife ( who I have been trying to guess as I haven't found a marriage for his wife).  My Tree is so mucked up now as a result LOL....Feel free to DM me
Cheers
Jo