Author Topic: Morrows fo Co. Cavan  (Read 12330 times)

Offline lyzstaman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrows fo Co. Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keeweegal:
To help you, I need the following info on your MORROWs:

1. Mary Anne and Jane--birth and death dates-get from certificates, and on their marriage cert, who were witnesses? sometimes are relatives.

2. Also need names of their husbands, can be another clue as they may be from Cavan.

2.  Look at their children's names--many first son's and daughters followed a naming pattern from "the old country" and may show the parents/ grandparents names.

3. What religion were they? I have some early Methodist, Presby and Ch of Ireland records for Bjduff that I researched in Belfast a few years back.

4. Look at ship manifest for "Zealandia"and see other names from County Cavan , or Ireland (sometimes dthey did not list their home)-most "ladies" at the time travelled with a male, or in a group.

3. What town did they settle in in NZ? Where their names in the local newspaper--check this out also. I have some Morrow lines on the  north island, and around Christchurch.

4. I would dig up as much as you can on the NZ end before jumping the pond--the Cavan Genealogy Research Centre does a great job--you pay for it, but they are efficient. Hope this helps...
Cheers
Lyz Morrow Staman

Researching these County Cavan lines, all around Ballyjamesduff 1700s-1930s:
HOGG (to NZ)
MORROW (to Canada, Aus, and NZ)
HENRY
BYERS/BYARS (to Canada)
EVANS
CORKINDALE/CORKEDALE
HARTLEY
MCCABE
PORTER

Ballyjamesduff, County Cavan:
MORROW
BYERS/ BYARS
HENRY
EVANS
PORTER
CORKEDALE/CORKINDALE
HARTLEY

Offline Keeweegal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 08 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyz and all ;)

Have just received the death cert for Jane Morrow ex County Cavan,  it is noted that her parents were Sarah Curry and Alexander Morrow.  She married John Gunning Herron in an Anglican Church,  Christchurch, NZ,  so I presume she was that Religion,  or perhaps she could have changed.   

Unfortunately that is all the info I can muster,  I cannot locate her parents in Ireland,  but being relatively new to this,  I imagine I've missed something.   

Perhaps you can come up with something,  when you have time available. ;D

Kimberly

Offline mikestepuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Are you related to Henry Morrow of the townland Graddum, near Ballyjamesduff? Many from this branch went to Australia.

Or are your part of the Morrow family that went to Porirua, NZ in late 1890s?
I am related to many of the MORROWs around Bjduff, my Morrows are from Clare and Derrylurgan, just outside Bjduff. My relatives went to Winnipeg, Canada in 1901 and Peterborough, Ontario in early 1840s.

Let me know some details---have been researching these lines in Canada and Ireland for over 25 years.
Cheers 
Lyz Morrow Staman
Seattle, WA USA

Offline mikestepuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lyz, I have been trying for some time to contact the family of a Charles Morrow  who I believe lives/d in Canada. His mother was a Stephens born 1907. Her parents were George Stephens born  1856 in Rockfield, Killeshandra, Cavan and an Anna Gordon - I think also from Cavan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Offline annejay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Jane's father Alexander Morrow came out to NZ with her.
 Annejay
abbott london-maynard and hadley berkshire-lashmar and west sussex-sullivan and rooney lancashire-grahamand thompson london

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 October 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi jocette my mums dads side where morrows from ballyjamesduff county cavan 

This message is from new member Karl schiele who has clicked on the "report to moderator button" instead of the reply button. The blue reply button is at the end of the thread, please do not publish your email address in a public thread.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 October 19 10:44 BST (UK) »

Any Civil Reg for them or anyone from BJDuff would come under Oldcastle Reg District.

I did this Search on   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

which is the Irish Govt BDM Website where one can get any Certs for free.

One needs to solve Captcha....and can then use Initials to sign in to get Certs.  No Sub required!

Link to Morrows in Oldcastle REG DISTRICT      http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ogh/

Solve the captcha and sign in to view Certs

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line  explains years covered etc.

https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php   gets one Reg Districts in any County by using first dropdown box

Attached are those for Co Cavan.

One can amend Search as needed for other Districts or Surnames etc on

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Some with   Returns Page No  do not have Images yet so one can check again in future to see if any have been updated.

Birth Certs give Father plus Mother's maiden name which one checks to get siblings,

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 October 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Lyz, I have been trying for some time to contact the family of a Charles Morrow  who I believe lives/d in Canada. His mother was a Stephens born 1907. Her parents were George Stephens born  1856 in Rockfield, Killeshandra, Cavan and an Anna Gordon - I think also from Cavan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

If one only knows names of couple one can search

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

for their Marriage just by putting one name and year range in and tick Marriage box

no need to fill all boxes then look through results

As a result one gets the Marriage Cert for George Stephens  Cavan and  Anna Gordon   (as per PDF attached) with name of father, address etc

Then adjust search to look for her Birth or siblings marrying etc

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 19 11:27 BST (UK) »

m