Author Topic: Maidstone Parish Records  (Read 8862 times)

Offline csmalley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maidstone Parish Records
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find any more information on my direct maiden name line (the one i particularly want to trace!) and am looking for some advice on where to go now.

The furthest back i have found (thanks to the IGI :-\) is Thomas Swinnock, married to Martha Mason in 1775 so he was probably born about 1750-55. His birth, unfortunately, isn't on there!

Where do I go from here? Anything past the census i get a bit confused :-[ I obviously need to look at the Maidstone Parish Registers, is there any way i can do that sat many miles away in Nottinghsmahire?!

Thanks!
SWINNOCK, TWYMAN, MARSH, GURR, TURNER, BROWN - Kent
SPRINGETT - Medway
CASS - Essex
REEVES, BANKS - Derbyshire/Notts

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maidstone Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
There are a few SWINOCK entries among the Maidstone parish records on this site
(including an early entry for the name SWINEOAK)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/maidextr.html

There are also some other SWINNOCK entries on the site, which is searchable

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
There is a Baptism for a Thomas SWINNOCK in 1850 at Boxley.

A John SWINNOCK of Boxley was master of the workhouse in the 1750s.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline csmalley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearkat. Have seen these entries before, still can't seem to work out who Thomas' parents were. Although, it is likely there's a link with the John Swinnock in Boxley.

Its so frustrating, its such a rare name I was hoping it'd be fairly easy to trace! Looks like i might have to leave this one for now...
SWINNOCK, TWYMAN, MARSH, GURR, TURNER, BROWN - Kent
SPRINGETT - Medway
CASS - Essex
REEVES, BANKS - Derbyshire/Notts

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 02:15 BST (UK) »
Short of taking the long trip down to the county records office in Canterbury, you could try your nearest LDS Family History Centre...they should be able to order in on microfilm the registers for pretty much anything that's been filmed really.  If I remember correctly, there's two LDS centres in Nottinghamshire...one in Nottingham itself, and one in Mansfield.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Is there a future in genealogy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I just found your letter on this thread... and I too am related to Thomas Swinnock. He was my GGGG Grandfather - through my father's line. I too live in Nottinghamshire.

I haven't been able to get any further back than you, I'm afraid, at the moment. If you DO find anything further I'd be thrilled if you'd keep me 'in the loop'!!

Cheers

Gill
Ashcroft (Lancs), Shepherd (Lancs), Tebb (Lancs and Yorkshire), Lea & Puleston (Shropshire and Wales), Goodman (Shropshire), Swinnock (Maidstone/Medway area), Barfoot (Maidstone/Medway), Roughley (Lancs)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 February 09 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Maidstone marriages 1754-1911 are included on the Mid Kent Marriage Index if it's any help http://woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/

There are also some references to wills http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/index.html which together with http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp means an almost complete index for pre 1858 East Kent wills.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Is there a future in genealogy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 February 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those links.... I'll go along and have a look now!   :)
Ashcroft (Lancs), Shepherd (Lancs), Tebb (Lancs and Yorkshire), Lea & Puleston (Shropshire and Wales), Goodman (Shropshire), Swinnock (Maidstone/Medway area), Barfoot (Maidstone/Medway), Roughley (Lancs)

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 February 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
From CD 26 Kent Family History Society transcription of Maidstone All Saints Parish records -
No trace of Thomas Swinnock (or variations) baptism in the mid 1700s. Only Thomas' in the 1600s
Their marriage record shows 11/2/1775 both of the parish and single. Witnesses Ann Mason & Mary May.
I presume you have their 8 + maybe another 2 children.

Also a Martha Mason daughter of Allen & Martha Mason bap 30/1/1754 and she is the only Martha Mason bap in 1700s so could be a good candidate.

If you have only used the IGI to date for pre 1837 data I would advise you to look at the original records as well because of transcription errors. Sometimes you find extra information that can be very helpful. Even the above information is from a transcription and could have errors. You can order and look at filmed copies of parish records at your nearest LDS Family History Centre in Notts. Their website will give you the address etc.

The other thing is that Maidstone was a garrison town and therefore people from all over the country were coming and going which does not make tracing them very easy.