Author Topic: Maidstone Parish Records  (Read 8673 times)

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Is there a future in genealogy?
    • View Profile
Re: Maidstone Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 February 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Modem, for your instructive reply!   :)

"From CD 26 Kent Family History Society transcription of Maidstone All Saints Parish records -
No trace of Thomas Swinnock (or variations) baptism in the mid 1700s. Only Thomas' in the 1600s
Their marriage record shows 11/2/1775 both of the parish and single. Witnesses Ann Mason & Mary May.
I presume you have their 8 + maybe another 2 children."

I hadn't heard of the CDs one could buy - so yes, I've been using the IGI transcripts so far, and scraps of information that I could glean from forums and the like. I haven't any knowledge of the 8+ children either!!

I really shall have to visit the LDS centre in Notts. I also want to find out about Barfoots in the area too - so I will be able to get myself a rent book and camp out there probably!  ;D

Because the IGI records didn't show very much for Maidstone I presumed that the records were not transcribed yet or that they had somehow disappeared or been destroyed. It's good to know that they DO exist. However, with relatives all over the UK it can be expensive at times trying to find people and their records... I am now a pensioner and have to ration what I buy otherwise I'd be a real spendthrift!!

Thanks again for your information

Cheers

Gill

Ashcroft (Lancs), Shepherd (Lancs), Tebb (Lancs and Yorkshire), Lea & Puleston (Shropshire and Wales), Goodman (Shropshire), Swinnock (Maidstone/Medway area), Barfoot (Maidstone/Medway), Roughley (Lancs)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
This website is really useful for finding out what records have been indexed/transcribed for parishes in Kent

http://www.our-families.info/external/kent_parish_registers.html

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline csmalley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 February 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillyches! Great to see someone else hunting the Swinnocks! ;D

I have got no further in the last couple of years unfortunately, although i must admit my research has been on hold for a while. I do have the 8 children (but not the ?+2) so can give you all the info i have on those Gill if you need it. From memory, i got them from the IGI.

I also have Allen and Martha as parents to Martha Mason - not rock solid, but based on the fact that she's the only baptism i could find :-X

Am trying to slowly get back into research mode so hopefully in the next few months we will crack Thomas!

Clare
SWINNOCK, TWYMAN, MARSH, GURR, TURNER, BROWN - Kent
SPRINGETT - Medway
CASS - Essex
REEVES, BANKS - Derbyshire/Notts

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi CS Malley.... Great to hear from you and great to know that you have the details of the other children!

I've have sent you a message while you are online... and hope that you get it!

Gill
Ashcroft (Lancs), Shepherd (Lancs), Tebb (Lancs and Yorkshire), Lea & Puleston (Shropshire and Wales), Goodman (Shropshire), Swinnock (Maidstone/Medway area), Barfoot (Maidstone/Medway), Roughley (Lancs)

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
"This website is really useful for finding out what records have been indexed/transcribed for parishes in Kent

http://www.our-families.info/external/kent_parish_registers.html "

Thanks for this, Bearkat
(Eer.... I hope I remembered correctly how your name was spelled! ???)

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillyches

Will PM you later this evening with all the stuff from the PRs rather than take up lots of Forum space. If thats OK?

Offline Gillyches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
That's fine... does PM mean 'Personal Message'? I assume it does so don't answer unless I'm wrong!

Cheers!