Author Topic: Born in Nottingham Prison  (Read 20427 times)

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Nottingham Prison
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 June 07 20:13 BST (UK) »
I agree that finding Ellen and William in the 1891 and 1901 censuses would help in tracing Ellen's family. I'll have another try at it the next time I go to the library.
The library has a sub. to Ancestry, I don't have it at home.
I suppose it is possible that Ellen married and appears under another name. William might also be listed under the husband's name. Also, William may have left for Canada before 1901. I have not found anyone who might be him in passenger lists from 1901 or earlier, but they are not complete and there are a lot of Stanleys.

Another thought I had about William, was that he might have ended up in a "home" of some kind and been sent to Canada as a "home child". Have not looked into that yet. If that was the case, then he might not be with Ellen in 1891, but in some institution.

The search continues.

Carmela

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 June 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
Yes - the 'home' idea is a possible. I know lots of Dr Barnados children went to Canada. It is possible to track them  -  I dont know how though- someone on Rootschat might be able to advise or there may be a thread on it already - worth a search. If not Barnados are sure to have a website that might point you in the right direction.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 July 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
 ???
Would it be possible to trace him on the Ships Passenger Lists when he first travelled to Canada?

Tracing relatives of mine the lists showed details of family/address back in England.

Knellie :-\

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Knellie,
Thanks for taking an interest in this problem. I'll reply to
the PM seperately, but for the benefit of others who may be following this thread, I'll update my progress or lack of progress.

I have found a William A. Stanley entering Canada in 1901, age 15, member of a party of Dr. Barnardo's children, some of which were sent on to the province where William is known to have settled. Further investigation of this group of Dr. B. children, revealed that they came from London. I don't know how Dr. B.'s children were put together for shipment to Canada. Perhaps children were taken from various homes and assembled as a group in London or where these only London children ?

Anyway, regardless of how he got there, William was
in Canada and living alone by the time of the 1911 Census. I am able to identify him with certainty because he was living very near the family of his future daughter's inlaws. Only one problem which suggests that he was not the Dr.B. boy; in 1911 he gives 1905 as date of entry into Canada. This might be a mistake but if true, then he was not the "home child" and it is "back to the passenger lists". I have not found any that give an address back in England, usually just port of departure and Canadian census records just give country of origin with no details.

I have still not had time to do another search of 1891 and 1901 UK census records at the library. Will try to do that this week.

Carmela

Current obsessions:

indiapaleale

« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 July 07 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Sticking my nose in here because I have had a fair amount of dealings with British Home children to Canada.   :) :) :) :)

First, I looked at William A. Stanley's entry on the Canadian Archives Home children site and it says that he sailed from England on March 21st 1901. The British census was taken on the night of March 31st. 1901 so he would have missed that one. But, the Canadian census was also taken on March 31st 1901 and sure enough William A. Stanley is with
the Robert Magee family in Nepean, Carleton, Ontario. He is listed as " hired help" and there are 2 other English boys in the household. I bet they are Barnardos boys too although I haven't looked yet.

Here is the 1901 census:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/Nation.jsp

It looks as though William was most certainly a Barnardo's child and Barnardo's have been very good about releasing records to the next of kin....although I understand it may take several months to rec'v the packet.
Your friend can email them at their address and ask for instructions:
makingconnections@barnardos.org.uk

Dr. Barnardo's after care page:
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/work_with_former_barnardos_children.htm

Also, it might be worth joining the British Home Children mailing list (I am a member) as we are all committed to help each other find our BHC relatives and learn about their background.

I have looked for William on the UK 1891 but no luck yet.

I hope this is helpful

Indi
Proud cousin of 7 British Home Children from Birmingham.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 07 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Carmela

A William Stanley immigrating to Canda in 1905 is found in the National Library of Canada Home Children database. He is part of a party of 142 children from the Middlemore's Childrens Immigration Homes, Birmingham, England, to the Lower Provinces of Canada, through Halifax.  Ship is the S.S. Siberian with departure 20 June 1905 Liverpool, arrival Halifax 1 July 1905. He was 11.

You can view the passenger list at :  http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-119.01-e.php?&sisn_id_nbr=11210&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=11dl15vpi8mhgpvp6o5aq9bhu1
William is found on page 3 of the shipping list:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-119.02-e.php?&sisn_id_nbr=11210&page_sequence_nbr=1&interval=20&&page_id_nbr=113827&&&PHPSESSID=11dl15vpi8mhgpvp6o5aq9bhu1

Linda

Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 00:14 BST (UK) »
Carmela

If this is your friend's William the National Archive's of Canada has this Finding Aid for Middlemore Children's Immigration Homes Records
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000592.pdf

Further details of the files:
http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=107020&rec_nbr_list=107020,1927225,1984172,1944577,1944341

Contact info for the Archives: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/contact/index-e.html

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 05:27 BST (UK) »
Indi,
You are welcome to  stick your nose in. :) :) :) I can use all the help I can get on this one. Your expertise on British home children is really useful. I'll certainly follow up on the Barnardo links. If they are really sticky about releasing info only to next-of-kin, I may have a bit of a problem. My friend is not a computer person, but perhaps we could get around that with an old-fashioned letter. I wonder how much information there would be about William's mother in the Barnardo's records? It is still his mother and her stint in prison that is the major point of interest.
I am almost certain that the 1901 arrival in Canada is the right William Stanley, but I am a bit puzzled as how he could have made it from Liverpool to Ontario in 10 days.

I checked the 1911 census for Carleton/Nepean and there was no William Stanley, so he could well have moved on to the Prairies by then (where I found him).
Thank you very much for finding him in 1901. Don't know how I missed that. On second thought, perhaps I do know, I was really stupid  :-[ and assumed that he would be where he eventually settled. I know better,
it was very silly of me. It was a good thing that you found him, I might have forgotten to re-check that census.
Thanks again and you can stick your nose into my problems anytime.

Cheers,
Carmela

Current obsessions:

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 05:37 BST (UK) »
Linda,
Thank you for finding the 1905 William Stanley, but I am afraid that he is not thge right one as his age is too far out. I realize that ages can changed for various reasons,
but the image was quite clear and it did say 11. I think that is too far from 15 for any deliberate change.
I appreciate the time and effort that you put into looking
and if I ever reject the other William, I may reconsider this one.

Cheers,
Carmela

Current obsessions: