Author Topic: Born in Nottingham Prison  (Read 20524 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Nottingham Prison
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
This is a very old thread, I don't know if the protagonists are still on RC.

Anyhow the following are from the Notts Evening Post (available online through the British Newspaper Archive)

24 Jan 1884; Ellen Stanley, a domestic servant, was charged with stealing £4 in silver and a gold dress ring from Mrs Eleanor Sollery, her mistress. The prisoner did not deny the charge, and she was remanded so that a communication might be sent to a clergyman in Burton on Trent, who would be able to give some information respecting the girl.

31 Jan 1884: sentenced to 3 months imprisonment for the above crime (a few more details -- amount stolen now stated to be £7 and the ring: she worked as a domestic servant and her boss, Ellen Sollery, was of the Kirke white public house, Cheapside)

16 Oct 1886: "Alleged impudent robberies from children; Ellen Stanley, a respectably dressed young woman, was charged with stealing a dress, value 10s, from a little boy named William Clarke, the property of Eliza Stanley, residing in Benitinck St, Sneinton." (Subsequent reports stated that the info re Eliza Stanley was incorrect). Basically, William had picked up the dress from the pawnbrokers, was tricked into handing it over to Ellen who then pawned it elsewhere. The article then mentions other thefts of small amounts of money from children. Ellen had a previous conviction for similar and had been jailed in 1885 for 6 months for this. This time Ellen pleaded guilty to both charges and received 8 mth hard labour and year's police supervision.
(maybe the 1885 period of imprisonment covered William's birth? If she was inside for 6 months there's an even chance of it doing so!)

13 Sept 1887 -- slightly different name but same modus operandi, and a Burton link: Ada Ellen Stanley, age 24, a factory hand residing in Walker St, Nottingham, was charged at Burton on Trent with 3 thefts of money from children using the same tactics as the 1886 case.

I don't know how many Ellen Stanleys there were in Nottingham in the 1880s but I'm sensing a theme here!!

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Apparently this method of robbery -- waylaying small children who were on errands and conning them into parting with money -- was known as the "Kinchin Lay"!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Just want to thank you for posting the information from the newspaper articles. These were not available online when I was searching several years ago. All I found was an accout of the 1886 trial.
I never did find out what became of Ellen. I think that will remain a mystery.

Carmela
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline JHanley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 06 July 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am William Stanley’s great-granddaughter, and I came across this thread while doing my own search. Thank you all SO very much for your work on this thread! This has given me a jump-start to continue my search.

I am not sure which of my grandmother’s sisters you were in contact with, but I would like to compile all of this info for my grandmother while she is still well. She is currently 95 and is curious as to her father’s story. I have found many of these documents that you have referred to above on ancestry.ca, and your work has allowed me to find them quickly. I am happy to share this info with my grandma while she is alive, while otherwise this might have taken me some time to research myself.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your work!

Ps, if anyone had any questions or additional info, please comment or message me. I am thankful for you all!

Pss, William Stanley homesteaded in SK and retired in beautiful BC, where he had a long life. Despite his tragic beginnings, he did have a happy life.