Author Topic: Hannah family move from Kirk Michael to London?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah family move from Kirk Michael to London?
« on: Thursday 21 June 07 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

My ancestors the Hannahs moved from Kirk Michael Isle of man to London and appear on the 1881 London census.  I was wondering if there was any way I would be able to find out exactly when the move took place?

Any help or advice greatfully received.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah family move from Kirk Michael to London?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
doubt it .... you might be able to pin it down to a short timespan based on the ages and PoBs of children

Is this the Richard you mention on your other thread (married to the Ironing lady ?)

If so, they married in 4Q1879, Kensington (I guess you know this, given you have Annie's Maiden name) - and 1st child less than a year old in 1881 census ...

so, you need to track back on Richard to see where he was in 1871 ....

also, as he was a policeman in 1881, you may be able to obtain his service record, to move the  date of being in London back a bit ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 07 10:55 BST (UK) »
His father John Hannah b1812 Kirk Michael Isle of Man (Butcher) seemed to up sticks and moved his family to London beteen the 1871 Census and the 1881 Census.  Richard was his youngest child.

Sadly my grandfather never thought to ask his grandfather Richard why they moved. 

It was a long shot but I was just interested as to whether there was a certain reason for the move.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline toffeecushion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
I am the grandson on Frederick and Nellie Hannah. We are in Kirk Michael at the moment trying to find out more about our family tree. We have found where our 4th great grandfather, John Hannah (1812-1879) is buried and hope to find his gravestone today. He is still in Kirk Michael.  We also think we may have located our 5th great grandparents but that needs a bit more research.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Is this Richard Hannah a policeman in Kensington London in 1881? - his wife is not Manx it appears
 but you should be able to get his police career from official sources - many Manx joined the police but usually in Liverpool
also any marriage + births of children none of which are recorded on IoM should be available from UK sources
he was still with family in 1871
There is another unmarried Manx born (?Douglas) Margaret Hannah a palour maid (? a cousin)  also living in Kensington -
not easy to match as her age matches none in 61 census and can't see any match in 1871 IoM census
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
re Wm Hannah
The Kk Michael branch of family started with Irish born Wm + Jane Cannell -
 Jane I think was dau of Wm Cannell + Ann Cain bapt Michael 17920205
- there is a deed North Side Sales Oct 1816 #1 [available in Manx Museum] -
 dated 23 Nov 1814;recites that Setting quest of Kk Michael was required to determine the ownership of half a field in qtrland of Loghan_ny_machey following petition of widow Ann Cannell to Deemster - Wm Hannah + wife Jane entitled to half - the quest divided the field and stated east or upper half was Hannah's and the west or lower was Cannell's - both parties to share a cart road
 [this was Wm Hannah who married Jane Cannel in 1811 (he was noted as a widower, both parties of Kk Michael)

a second deed in "Castletown Deeds" Michael term 1844 #10 (Castletown = location of courts) - no idea why John Caine gave the property though
dated 20 Aug 1844;John Caine(Kk Michael) gives to William Hannah junr(Kk Michael) a dwelling house + outhouses at present used by William Hannah senr as a slaughter house situate in parish of Michael and known as "Bill Philip's House", bounded on NE + SW by property of Patrick Cannell, on SE by highroad and on NW by parish Clerk's glebe; Witt J J Brown, Thos caine

Ann Cain was dau of Daniel Caine + Jane Kaighin ( their wills + others are summarised on www.manxnotebook.com) -
 also there is a post marriage settlement by Daniel on his dau along with parents of Wm Cannell  viz Philip Cannell + Ann Kaighen)
any thing with a Manx Connection