Author Topic: Rerrick Marriage - JACKSON/HAWTHORN  (Read 3198 times)

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rerrick Marriage - JACKSON/HAWTHORN
« on: Thursday 21 June 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Please could anyone check for the marriage of George Jackson and Jane Hawthorn between 1841-49 in the parish of Rerrick. if it is not there could I be very cheeky and ask could you also check in the parish of Anworth, Balmaghie, Colvend and Girthon.
Thank you so much
Jill
Aspinall- Ashton-U-Lyne; Binns- Leeds; Eason- Ashton-U-Lyne; Eastwood-Yorks; Gatliffe-Manchester; Garside-Ashton-U-Lyne; Morris-Bolton; Ousey & Owen- Ashton-U-Lyne; Ratcliffe-Staffordshire; Saville- Leeds; Shuttleworth & Smithies- Ribchester, Lancs; Sowerbutts- Balderstone, Lancs; Sturgess- Staffordshire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rerrick marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill

I cannot find either name, either together or separately,  in  Kirkcudbrightshire or Dumfriesshire on either the IGI or SP for banns/marriage in the period.

This could be for various reasons: missing records, common law or marriage by proclamation, not members of the Established Church of Scotland, etc.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

and this:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&642

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Hathorn rather than Hawthorn?  I have an ancestor Jane Hathorn born Girthon 1824.  Happy hunting!  Mary
Kirkcudbrightshire : McMurray/ie, Haining, Hanning, McAdam, McClune.
Ayrshire: Livingstone
East Lothian: Anderson

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for reply to my plea and sorrry for the delay in relpying but  I have been away searching for the sunshine, unfortunately I don't think I managed to bring any home with me but heres wishful thinking. ::)
Mary- I have checked the 1841 census and found a Jone (I presume this is Jane) Hawthorn living in Girthon who is 15 and living with some other males, John Hanning (72) maybe working as a servent for them all! Is this the one that is related to you? Do you have any other details about her?
Many thanks
Jill
Aspinall- Ashton-U-Lyne; Binns- Leeds; Eason- Ashton-U-Lyne; Eastwood-Yorks; Gatliffe-Manchester; Garside-Ashton-U-Lyne; Morris-Bolton; Ousey & Owen- Ashton-U-Lyne; Ratcliffe-Staffordshire; Saville- Leeds; Shuttleworth & Smithies- Ribchester, Lancs; Sowerbutts- Balderstone, Lancs; Sturgess- Staffordshire.

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
Your Jane Hathorn/ Hawthorn (sp. interchangeable,it seems) was daughter of John Hathorn and Mary Hanning. So the John Hanning in the 1841 census would be Jane's grandfather.
Have you seen the 1851 census?  In Girthon you will find your Jane (now Jackson) living with her parents with 2 small children.
Hope this helps.  Mary

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, Thanks for your excellent work. Do you have the references for the census's so that I can look them up please.
Thank you so much
Jill

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rerrick Marriage - JACKSON/HAWTHORN
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 07 16:57 BST (UK) »
Do you think they may got married in Girthon, is anyone able to check the parish register for me from 1841-49
Many Thanks
Jill

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 07 17:14 BST (UK) »
I use the Dumfries and Galloway Council website for the 1851 census - its free!
www.dumgal.gov.uk?historicalindexes/census.aspx

All the Girthon OPRs are in Edinburgh - they are accessible on Scotlands People if the marriage was actually recorded - many weren't.

My connection is with John Hanning (grandfather).  My gggrandmother Margaret Hanning was his daughter by his first wife Jean McAdam. After her death he married Catherine McNeal your Jane's grandmother. Mary

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 July 07 17:16 BST (UK) »