Author Topic: Samuel MUNRO--Kilmuir Easter--1788  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel MUNRO--Kilmuir Easter--1788
« on: Friday 22 June 07 11:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out who is the mother of Samuel Munro ch 28/11/1788 is.

According to Scotland's People, Samuel's parents are HECTOR MUNRO & BARBARA ROSS

According to IGI (LDS site) his mother is BARBARA MacFARQUHAR. On this site, Samuel has several siblings--family group..

ON Scotland's People, these siblings are there also--same dates etc--one who is older than Samuel has Barbara Mac Farquhar as mother,-then Samuel--Barbara Ross, then the rest have Barbara MacFarquhar.
I have been unable to trace a marriage record for Hector Munro (bc 1761) to either of these ladies

Ross seems likely as my grand father and his father (Samuel's son)were both named Robert Ross Munro

Hector Munro seems likely as a father as he was a mason as was Samuel & one of Samuel.s sons also Hector was a mason. I know these 2 things aren't  "proof" only leads.

I am not sure where else I can check this out as I understand that Scotland's people don't do research
Can anybody suggest anything I can do please.
Thank you--Eileen
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel MUNRO--Kilmuir Easter--1788
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

Like you I can't find the marriages on Scotland;s People and the deaths of Hector and Barbara won't be there less they lived after 1855 which seems unlikely!

I think your starting point has to be working back from your parent and grandfather and checking out each step. IGI is fine if extracted but beware submitted records! (They always need to be checked out)

It would be unusual for Samuel to have a mother with another name than all his other siblings so I can't think of any other way of checking it out.

The Ross as a middle name could be for a variety of reasons e.lg. family name,. friend of family etc.

Hope this helps a bit

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 07 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann--thank you for your message--also for checking S people records for me. I appreciate your helpful support.

My grandfather (he died when I was in my 30s)  used to say that Ross was a family name and that his grandmother was a Ross-that, of course, would be his great grandma-- if Barbara Ross was meant--but---!!

The records in IGI were submitted which made me wary so I wondered if some body had found my Samuel with Hector for a father and added him in with the others!

In IGI records there is also one with just Samuel--correct dates & Barbara Ross & Hector Munro as parents--a few with Mac Farquhar--must check what kind of record that is!

There were a lot of Hector Munros around at the time!

I know that I have my correct ancestors back as far as Samuel because of first hand knowledge & birth & marriage certs. I also know that I have the correct wife for Samuel--death certs and her maiden name being used down the family..( though I take your point re it could be a friend or relative's name  etc)

However--I will keep searching with an open--if somewhat confused!--mind!

Thank you--Eileen
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 June 07 09:39 BST (UK) »
hi pal

sorry to add my tuppence worth, but there is no igi records whatsoever for barbara mcfarquar in ross and cromarty.

i would be 99% sure her maiden name was ross.

have you found any of the family on the 1841 census?

i do not know if this is yours?

1841-kilmuir

barbara-age 70-poor
barbara-age 40
ann mcintosh-age 10
james hutton-age 12

from freecen

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe--all tuppence worths very welcome!!

I have found a family recored group with Barbara Mc F on but it is a submitted record--I'll re check that.
My leaning is toroids Ross for various reasons
I haven't found a Barbara Munro on the 1841 census--if dates are roughly correct she would be around75 which could fit in with 70.!
I'll look this up --if the same one the Barbara would be about 48

Thank you for your in put-I appreciate it
Eileen

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
Eileen

Hope this doesn't confuse things further but if a woman rfemarried she quite often used her maiden name on the marriage certificate instead of the widowed name - I have a few like that and had me tied in knots for a while til I worked out was common custom to do it!

Also have found that where woman was widowed and didn't remarry has used her maiden name on census returns! these folks do like to confuse us!

If you can get the details of who submitted is worth writing to them. I've done that in a couple of cases and found out quite a bit more. Sometimes the dates are a wee bit out but has been the right people.

Good luck

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this suggestion Ann--I would never have thought of writing to the  submitter-I'll see if a name etc is there.

I should have thought about the use of maiden name on remarriage as I know in Scotland you don't "lose" it. Also, my husband's grandma re married in her maiden name-once I found out that a couple of other mysteries were solved. That was in England

I have also (this afternoon) put Barbara Ross in a new thread

I appreciate yuor support--thank you
Eileen

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

Glad to help. If the name of the submitter isn;t there is worth asking your local FHS if they can find it for you.

Good luck! Happy searching

Ann