Author Topic: Is this Indian Army?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Is this Indian Army?
« on: Friday 22 June 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
Please can someone tell me if this is an Indian Army uniform?  My husband's uncle, James McConnell was in a Punjabi Regt.  This picture is of him, but does someone recognise the uniform?

Many thanks

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Indian Army?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 07 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

I cannot find that actual cap badge in my books, but it has the Imperial Crown with what looks like the letters GRR underneath.
It is similar to the Military Provost cap badge, but not quite the same.

The chap in your picture has one Pip on his shoulder which makes him an Officer of the junior rank Subaltern I believe.

Hope someone can come up with an answer for you.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 07 08:09 BST (UK) »
That should read, the letters GRP.   ???

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 07 13:41 BST (UK) »
It is GRI - Georgius Rex Imperator  (George King Emperor) and yes it was used by the Indian Army.

2nd Lieutenant James Kerr McConnell was commissioned on the Indian Unattached List in 1916. Promoted Lieutenant July 1917. Posted to the 74th Punjabis in December 1917.

Is this your man?

Steve
Cheltenham. The Gloucestershire Regiment.
Military History. Medal collector.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 07 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Salty and Steve

Yes this was Bob's uncle.  We do know from my f-i-l's autograph book that he was a Capt in 26th Punjabis at some stage.

If anyone can find any further info about when he left the army we would be very grateful.  We know that he went back to Ireland at some point.  We are pretty sure that his wife lived at 36 Cliftonpark Avenue, Belfast in 1940.

Best wishes

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 07 14:29 BST (UK) »
Ellen,

The last reference that I have is that Major J.K. McConnell transferred to the Unemployed List in April 1936.

I will be going to the Gurkha Museum in July and they have a very good run of Indian Army Lists. I will look him up if I get time.

Steve
Cheltenham. The Gloucestershire Regiment.
Military History. Medal collector.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6524886&queryType=1&resultcount=3

Found this in the NA MICs wonder if its the same McConnell JK.?
Its a poss MID award.
Cant find a MIC for his campaign medals though.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 07 09:53 BST (UK) »
Most of the records for Officers in the Indian Army are at the British Library. So you will only get any of his MICs or Indian Army lists info. You could also try getting a copy of the Regiment history

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 June 07 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help and advice. 

We know from a note in Bob's father's address book that Jim died aged 43 of a duodenal ulcer (that would have been about 1938/9).  His other brother, Sam, was killed in action in 1942.

There had been a rift with Jim - somthing to do with his wife I think - so Dad didn't speak of them and we understand that he wouldn't visit when the daughter died young!!

Ellen