Author Topic: Ridgmont PRs - ALLEN  (Read 3037 times)

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Ridgmont PRs - ALLEN
« on: Saturday 23 June 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to Ridgmont PRs please?

Thank you

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgmont PRs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Depends what date you are talking about.

All Beds 1812 and earlier have been transcribed and a number of people on this board have access to the transcriptions; post 1813 is different

Baptisms up to 1812, and marriages up to 1885, have been extracted onto the IGI

Much easier to just ask what you are looking for! People can then decide whether or not they are able to assist (eg I might say "yes I have" and you say "can you list every Smith entry 1559-1910". Might put me in an invidious situation if I don't really fancy doing that!)

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgmont PRs - ALLEN and MADDOX
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
ooo ok - was only asking in case no one had access to anything before I launched into it all ;)

The family I am really interested in is the ALLENs.

William ALLEN (Jnr) was born on 22 July 1811 according to the IGI with parents named William and Sarah - with siblings -

John  1802 (married Hannah ADKINS in 1822)
Elizabeth  1804 (married Thomas COOK in 1825)
Mary  1806 (married Joseph LAWSON in 1830)

I've got them on the 1841 census and William Snr (65 on the 1841) died in 1843.  Is he buried at Ridgmont?

William (Jnr) married Dinah MADDOX in 1837 but was a widow.  There's a marriage for a William ALLEN to Elizabeth FOSTER in 1830 but I don't know if this is him.

I would love to know if William Jnr had any more siblings.  I'd love to know who Sarah was and when she married William Snr. 
-------
Dinah MADDOX was bn in abt 1817 in Ridgmont to Edward MADDOX and Mary.  Edward is in Ridgmont in 1841.  Dinah had siblings -

George (1818)
Martha  (1821)
Elizabeth  (1828)

Edward was buried at Ridgmont in 1845.

That's all I know about them but again would dearly love to know more.

In fact, anything more on any of them would be more than marvellous.

Thank you

~ Claire

BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire,

The 4 IGI births at Ridgmont were noted as Baptist.

There are 2 other christenings (not baptist) at Ridgmont to parents William Allen & Sarah, & they are John 10/Jan/1796 & James 13/Oct/1799. So if it is the same parents then this John dies before the other one who gets born1802.

Possible marriage William Allen to Sarah Cole at Marston Moreteyne on 1/JUL/1795.  Marston being just up the road from Ridgmont. Perhaps on the PR it will say what parish she came from. 

Flitwick Library has the PR in book form up to 1812 & on microfiche for the later years. 

Regards John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 07 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Strangely there's only two Allen burials in Ridgmont after 1548 - John on 9 Feb 1796 at Ridgmont All Saints, who looks as though he's the 1796 christening found by John, and Sarah on 4 Match 1839 at Ridgmont Baptist. No trace of a William Allen anywhere in Beds in 1843.

Other than a 21 year old Elizabeth Allen buried at Marston Moretaine on 18 Jan 1835 there are no other burials which would fit an 1830 marriage.

There is someone who offers Marston Maretaine look ups on the offers board but she hasn't been online in over a year and hasn't responded to recent requests so perhaps that offer can be ignored and the post ought to be removed.

Ridgmont baptisms 1813-1906 are on the BVRI. But these are the established church, not the Baptist church which is where William and Sarah were recording the births of their later children. As the Baptist Church batch on the IGI goes up to 1836 I think it's fair to assume that William may have been their last,  as there are no baptisms in the established church 1813 onwards.

John and Hannah baptised the following children in Ridgmont
Mary Allen 18 May 1823 (Parents John and Ann)
Ann Atkins Allen 27 Nov 1825
Sarah Allen 23 Nov 1828

There were no baptisms of children of William and Elizabeth in the period 1830-37

The James that John found seems to have married Elizabeth Woods in Ridgmont on 7 Sept 1818. They baptised the following in Ridgmont
Joseph 11 Apr 1819
George 21 Oct 1827
John 21 Oct 1827

Baptisms of children of Edward and Mary Maddox (the first one was Mattick - I looked for Pneu but couldn't find him)
George Mattick 11 Oct 1818
Martha 8 Jul 1821
Eliza 23 Nov 1828

I can't find the marriage of William and Dinah

Regards

David

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgmont PRs - ALLEN
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 07 13:04 BST (UK) »
WOW thank you guys for all this information!! :)

I made a mistake - William ALLEN died in 1847 not 1843  :-X

Thanks for the information on the other children of John and Sarah and also for their grandchildren too (children of John and Hannah and James and Elizabeth) - I'll start to look for them on the censuses now!

Really excellent!

William ALLEN married Dinah MADDOX on 28th Oct 1838 at "? Parish Church in the Parish of Ridgmont, Bedfordshire" - Dinah was written as "Diana" though. 

Any idea where I might find more about  the MADDOXs?

Thank you

~ Claire

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
I've just been playing on the IGI and going through all these names that you've found.  There's also a lonesome marriage for John ALLEN to Jane BATES in 1771 - I wonder if they were William's parents (he was determinded to name a son "John")  No where near any proof of course but interesting all the same!

Thanks

~ Claire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 07 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Re William's burial: makes no odds. No trace of a William Allen anywhere in Beds in 1847 either. It's a bit of a mystery.

Re Maddox - pre 1812 Beds the starting point must be the IGI.

Edward Maddox gave his age as 50 in 1841, meaning age 50-54. The baptism on the IGI that fits best is of Edward Maddocks on 18 Feb 1787 at Salford, Beds (3 miles from Ridgmont), son of John and Martha (he named a daughter Martha). But I can't find a marriage to Mary, nor can I find a burial of Mary. This part of Beds is only a couple of miles from the Bucks county boundary.

Regards

David

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thank you again!!!

I'm really quite clueless about this part of Bedfordshire and am going off a mapbook.

My next plan is to get William's death cert so I've got an address where he died and perhaps that might help to narrow it down a bit burial-wise unless of course he was still at "Lids, Ridgmount" with daughter Mary.

:)

~ Claire