Author Topic: Whiteman family pre 1800  (Read 1575 times)

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whiteman family pre 1800
« on: Saturday 23 June 07 16:05 BST (UK) »
My ggg-grandfather was Thomas WHITEMAN (born 1779) who married Elizabeth BEDDOES in 1813, Culmington.  He was a farmer in the Stoke St Milborough area.  Does anyone have any information about WHITEMANs in Shropshire that is pre 1800? 

The 1841 census states that he was born in Shropshire (well the column 'Born in this county' is marked with a 'Y').  However, the 1851 census records his county of birth as Herefordshire - looks like Aimstree??. 

To be honest I am not sure where to look next.  I have no information about his parents. 

Any information/advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Boosh
Whiteman (Salop or links from other counties)
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteman family pre 1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Boosh
I gave up trawling through the nearest directory in Shropshire 1832? an hour ago ;D Unfortunately in that book there is no index to say if there is an alphabetical surename index.So i went through all the counties Occupations. Hoping when i came to the last county it would then go onto the surename index,it didn't :( ;D Never knew Shropshire was so big at that time ;D I never noticed any Whitemans though.
I then had a look on the I.G.I for a birth of Thomas in Shropshire no luck at all.Even with 5 years each side of the given year. I did find one in Hereford if thats any use  :-\

Thomas Whiteman C 1st January 1781 Orleton,Hereford
Father Thomas Whiteman
Mother Elizabeth

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia - thank you so much for you efforts.   :)

The information re the Whitemans in Hereford is worth persuing - as I have found that some of the data recorded in census returns etc is not always accurate, and other evidence is needed to verify its reliability. 

I see that Shropshire Archives have an entry in their online catalogue of a petition relating to Richard Whiteman and the lease of some land in 1722 - another line for me to follow!

Thanks again

Boosh
Whiteman (Salop or links from other counties)
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline FionaJayne1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My name is Fiona and my grandfather x 3 was also Thomas Whiteman 1789 - 1858. He married Elizabeth Haynes/Beddoes in 1813. Elizabeth was Haynes Beddoes as her father was Haynes and her mother Beddoes.
It would be lovely to connect and see how we are related.
My line from his is down through him and his son Francis Edward Whiteman 1828 - 1907 who married Eliza Deuce 1827 - 1924, and they had a daughter Emma Whiteman 1858 - 1930 who married Charles Brereton  1851 - 1928. My grandfather was their son Francis Edward Brereton 1907 - 1984.
Please get in touch and I can share with you anything I have.
Look forward to hearing from you
Fiona

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Fiona.

Boosh hasnt been on her since 2012 so hopefully has the same email address and will reply to you.

Just to let you know that Thomas's Death Reg is on GRO and was older than you quoted;

WHITEMAN, THOMAS age 80***
GRO Reference: 1858  D Quarter in LUDLOW  Volume 06A  Page 397
So c 1778

1851 he is born c 1779 Aimstone, Herefordshire so the Thomas Whiteman Christened 1st January 1781 Orleton,Hereford looks good;
Father Thomas Whiteman
Mother Elizabeth

He has a Brother Richard 1786 who appears in Shropshire 1851 Census born c 1786 Richards Castle, Herefordshire.
He is a Farmer just like Thomas

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline FionaJayne1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)