Author Topic: Kent / Sussex Travellers  (Read 53229 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Kent / Sussex Travellers
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 January 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

For info on Stanfords, you might try getting in touch with Henry and Paula Stanford at their Romany Life Centre in Cranbrook, Kent. Info here:

www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2006/08/02/gypsy_feature.shtml

You'll find them very approachable and knowledgeable.

Best wishes

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline zabini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 January 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
To Maggott
Thanks for responding re Hedges/Brewer family.  I'll need to make one more post before I can answer personal messages.
I know very little at the moment about the Brewer family.  I've only just found out about the Hedges.
I'll keep searching.

Offline Hwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 February 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am a relitive of the Stanford family, They were around the tunbridge wells area of Kent, im currently searching for them, my mums mum and dad were Florence Emily Stanford and George Stanford he was a hawker, mum was born in 1931.

Offline Hwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 February 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
these guys are my relitives, Henry is my Second cousin. x
Hi Steve

For info on Stanfords, you might try getting in touch with Henry and Paula Stanford at their Romany Life Centre in Cranbrook, Kent. Info here:

www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2006/08/02/gypsy_feature.shtml

You'll find them very approachable and knowledgeable.

Best wishes

Sharon

Offline WealdenClark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 January 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

There seems to be a connection between Jones and Porter. Charles Porter, born Portsmouth 1823 is also known as Charles Jones (1861 census, Newark, Chailey, Sussex) The Porter|Jones's have connection with the Bacon family from their Surrey years during their slow move from Sussex from Hampshire around 1845. They spent a lot of time aroung Hastings and Heathfield, Sussex. One of these Bacon-Porters rommered my great Uncle Bill Clark.

My distant Clark family relatives wed Kemps women twice (Burwash, Sussex, census returns of of 1851-1881, Sophia Kemp) and Wadhurst (1871 census, Lucy Kemp) then Pembury (1881 census). These Clarks are static compared to my other Clark relatives, but the names of the Burwash lot are unconventional which points to Romany (or a speech defect). The Pembury Clark-Kemps I think emigrated to Canada shortly after 1881.

Brenchley & Horsmonden in Kent, Warbleton & Ticehurst, Sussex and [Northiam, Ore, Pett and Fairlight - all near Hastings] seem to have stopping places where Romanies atched regularly.
Clark, Clarke, Newman, King, Wood, Stone, Wright, Pointer, Bacon, Porter, Barton, Gumble, Hayward, Marchant, Salter

East Sussex, Kent, London, Wales

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
My great great granny was Mary Ann Clark born 1864, daughter of James and Grace, from Sussex. She may fit in with your Clark's...
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was Gustus Jones her Father was Obee Jones And his father was Samuel Jones RomanY Folk from Sussex and Kent they Married into the Brazill,Lee,Penford,Family's of Sussex,they also lived along with the Days,Barkers,Knaves and Ripley's of which all the sunames in the kent town that I live are quite bundent,I have only just started my tree this year and it is strange that all those Surnames are of people that I went to school with but at the time did not know that I was related to some of them,
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 September 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have a Martha Jane Robert/s in my tree as a 3x great grandmother she married John day she was born in Marden,Kent abt1816 and has been recorded as a Pedler they married in 1834 and John died 1n 1845 in sussex,they had been moving around Sussex and Kent with the Makrill,s Collins Barker's and Jones
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Richardxii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi to those who may know

My grandfather was thomas jones born 1888 he married in 1925 to eleanor roberts born 1898 sussex, thomas's father was john jones and eleanor's father was william roberts and mother charity wilson.
eleanor and thomas had three children, elizabeth, rose jane and millicent - does anyone have any info re thomas and john jones - thanks