Author Topic: Cockayne Charlotte a mystery.  (Read 5460 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Cockayne Charlotte a mystery.
« on: Saturday 23 June 07 21:31 BST (UK) »
Charlotte Cockayne was my x2 great grandfathers sister born in Nottingham March 1826. I have her on the 1841 and 1851 census and in 1852 she married William Nickerson aged 42 from Gonersby, Lincolnshire. After that I cannot find any trace of her. I cannot find a death or another census entry for her. I cannot find a census entry for William in 1861, but he does appear on the 1871 census living as a lodger in Kimberley and shown as a widower again.
Can anyone shed some light on this family mystery.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cockayne Charlotte a mystery.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Not sure if I have found William on the 1861 but here goes:

1661 Census Alfreton, Derbys
RG9/2514  fol 73  p 18

William Nicholson 1810 Great Grimsby, Lincs   lodger widower

???

all the best
Jan
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again
William Nicholsons death:
Dec Q 1874 Belper Derbyshire

Jan
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Jan
Well done - a great find - yes it ties in as Charlotte's brother was living in the same area at that time.  I can't find a death for Charlotte at all - maybe she didn't die but 'skipped off' with someone else ?

Thanks for your help

Mog n Mart
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Sarah Rosetta Cockayne and had a twin sister called Charlotte Cockayne - I believed that they came from the Ashbourne area and would have been born around 1840/50's possibly 60's....my great grandmother married a Herbert Barratt/Barrett and my gran  (Lucy) being the 1st child was born April 14th 1888 at Pinxton..........does this help?

Lynn (libralady)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,  I am aware of your great grandmother Sarah and her twin sister Charlotte.  They are my ancestors, so we are distantly related.  Their father was James Cockayne and he had married (2nd marriage) Charlotte, nee Ball, of Swanwick.  James had a sister named Rosetta who he was clearly very fond of as the name occurs several times in the family.  Any Cockayne with the name Rosetta in it are related.  His sister lived on the Isle of Man eventually.
Your great grandmother and Charlotte were born in 1863 in Swanwick and were the eldest of 8 children.  James came next, then Joseph, then John, then Rosetta (died aged 4), then William (my great grandfather) and finally Arthur.  James and Charlotte are both buried in Swanwick Churchyard in the corner near the traffic lights (no headstone though).  James was born in Nottingham in 1816 and was the son of John and Sarah nee Topps.  John originated from Ashford-on-the-water near Bakewell.  I have a photo of what I believe is Sarah, Charlotte and their brother James and his wife Esther (nee Morrell) and each of the ladies is holding a baby, which is probably your grandmother, though I can't tell which one is which?  Sarah married Herbert Barratt in 1886 and Charlotte married William Bradley.  Sarah had a large family, at least 7 children I believe?  Attached is the photo I mentioned.  If you recognise Sarah, please let me know.
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Well thanks for the information - the photo you sent is of boys only and goat, cannot see any other, maybe it has not all come through.........So now I know who I am, I did not know that they came from Swanwick though, I thought it was Ashbourne, but maybe that was the Barratts - I am not familiar with Swanwick area, never been, did not know that great, great granddad was married twice, what happened to his first wife ?, Incidently, my younger brother lived on the Isle of Man for a while, funny how life repeats itself......I can remember the stories from my grandmother (Lucy Barratt) who was Sarah and Herbert's eldest chiild.....They did have 7 children in 9 years, Lucy born 1888 - Ada, 1889 -Minnie, 1890- Bill,? Henry,? Eliza 1896 and Alfred in 1897 all great aunts and uncles, I  remember them all..........Lucy (my grandmother) married Arthur Thorpe from Hucknall Notts in 1908, they met when they were in service in South Nornmanton - When they first married they lived in a tiny hamlet near Clowne in Derbyshire, then moved to Cresswell, then Hucknall, Pop as he was known, had bicycle shops on the town, they made a bit of money and owned their own property in the Westville area of the town....they had 6 children, Dorcas born 1909, married and had 2 daughters- Jack born 1911 - married no children - Joe born 1912, married 3 children,  then the 1st world war occurred and Pop was away fighting for us.......My mother Margaret was born in 1920 when he returned from the war, gassed, shell shocked, but he recovered.......(My mother married my dad in 1941 and had 6 children, 4 girls and 2 boys - I am the 2nd child, first girl, my name is Lynn Taylor, nee Housley)  - then Alan born in 1928, married had I daughter, and Grace born in 1930, married had 6 children, Ist was born illegitimately, put up for adoption and recently contacted us all.......we all lived in Hucknall Notts as children, except Joe who lived in Leicester.........If William is your great grandfather and my Great grandmother Sarah are brother and sister, then that makes us 3rd cousins.......I was born in 1945 in Hucknall Notts, married in 1970 with 1 daughter.........I believe that Sarah and Herbert split up and my grandmother Lucy was left to bring up her brother's and sisters, they were bought up in Pinxton Notts......Sarah, (great grandmother) eventually moved to Eastwood Notts and lived on Victoria Street, next door to DH Lawrence the author who wrote Lady Chatterley's Lover, he was great aunt Ada's 1st boyfriend.....Sarah died just after I was born, she was in the Highbury Hospital Hospital Bulwell Notts.......I also recall my grandmother Lucy saying that she had lots of Cockayne cousins who were spinsters and also that the famous Arkwright family who invented the Spinning Looms were related to us......... loved the photo of my gran, she was a lovelly person (the best), so kind, loving and took care of everyone, she ran a poor house in Hucknall Notts, when she first moved there and was the light of my life, she died in August 1960 when I was 14 and my life was never the same........If you would like to keep in touch, my name is Lynn Taylor, I was born in 30.9.1945 am 71 years young.......e.mail.......lynnandmalc109@yahoo.co.uk.....I can fill you in about all my family, aunts, uncles, cousins etc, we are all still around...........I am also on Facebook as Lynn Taylor nee Housley.......would love to be in touch.......

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 July 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Lynn,

Grab the bar at the bottom of the photo and move it to see the whole photo.

Debra  :)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Have seen all the photo - did you receive my reply ?   Regards Lynn   xxx