Author Topic: Hambleden & Little Marlow PRs - JONES  (Read 2667 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Hambleden & Little Marlow PRs - JONES
« on: Sunday 24 June 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
I'm having yet another go at finding the baptism of Katherine Jones who married my greatx6 grandfather George Russell in Little Marlow on 12 Nov 1730.

I've got a copy of the actual parish record for this marriage - she is called Kat Jones and they are both described as 'of this parish'.

Having covered my forehead with brickdust (  :'() trying to find Kat's baptism, I'm now so desparate that I'm investigating the possibility that this might have been a second marriage for her - although, as she had her last child as late as 1751, she would have been widowed very young!

I've had name searches done in Bucks and Oxon with no luck - although I know that not all parishes are covered in either case.

George and Kat had 5 children in Little Marlow and then moved on to Hambleden where they had another 4. Son's names could be a clue to her father's name - they are, in order :

Robert, George, Joseph & Thomas.

(George was her husband - his father was Joseph!)

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help. Has anyone access to Little Marlow or Hambleden PRs to check if there are any Jones births , marriages or deaths around this time (say 1680-1730) which could throw even a little glimmer of light on this?
Thanks.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hambleden & Little Marlow PRs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
What I have may be something and nothing but I know what it's like clutching at straws sometime so I've trawled my ancestry.com cd for Bucks and found the following references to Jones in the area

Certificate of Musters 1522 Little Marlow
John Jonys

Michaelmas Sessions 6th October 1681 at Amersham
Robert Jones of Mursly

Michaelmas Sessions 6th October 1682 at Amersham
Joseph Jones - Hosier of Warrington in Olney, fined for being absent from Church.  And again in Christmas Sessions 82/83 and in 84.
There is a Joseph Jones, lace buyer of Newport Pagnell being done for absence from church in Amersham sessions 1684.  Probably the same considering occupation.
84/85 Joseph of Newport P. and his wife again absent.

Michaelmas Sessions 83
John Jones, Newton Longvile - absent from church.
Easter Sessions 1685 - John Jones, Newton L, again absent from church.

Robert Jones sworn in as a petty constable for Beaconsfield at the Easter Sessions Aylesbury 1684

Easter Sessions 1689 Aylesbury
Richard Jones sworn in as petty constable for Biddlesdon.
Robert Jones of Cholesbury, absent from church calendar sessions 84-84.

Richard Jones of Shenly at Chepping Wycombe sessions, 1689 absent from church for a month.

Alice Jones, widow, of Salden in Muresly, at Chepping Wycombe 1694 Michaelmas sessions for recusancy and absence from church (also found in 1691-92, 1693 session records for same reason)

1691-92 Sessions
John Jones of Stow, gardener to George Little of Buckingham discharged.

1691 Michaelmas Sessions, Chepping Wycombe
John Jones, cordwainer, of Great Marlow for absence from church.

Jonathon Jones, miller of Great Marlow, Easter Sessions Aylesbury 1694, discharged.

William Jones, Farnham Royal, Chesham Midsummer Sessions 1695, discharged.

Midsummer sessions 1696
Robert Jones, innholder, Beaconsfield, discharged.

Samuel Jones, juror at Chesham Midsummer Sessions 1698

John Jones, labourer at  Wendover, Epiphany Sessions 1698-9 on trial for stealing a pair of leather breeches from Robert Cook. (He had accomplices!).  He was acquitted.

Henry Jones, juror, Buckingham Sessions, 1699

1701 Amersham Midsummer Sessions
Robert Jones of Princes Risborough, house was registered as a meeting place

1701-1702 Wendover Epiphany Sessions
John Jones of Great Horwood on trial for trading as badger without being licensed, whatever that means!

1702 Aylesbury Easter Sessions
Jasper Jones of Medmenham, miller, discharged.

1702-3 Aylesbury Epiphany Sessions
John Jones of Great Horwood, labourer had a writ of capias ad respondendum issued against to the sheriff against him.
Same again 1704

1705 Easter Session, Aylesbury
Jone Jones of Ipstone in Turvile a juror at sessions.

Henry Jones, vagrant, 1705 conveyed by the constable of Taplow to Stanwell, middx.

1705 John Jones of Pollicott sworn as vice to Chief Constables of Ashendon

Records 1705-12
Doddershall.  Robert Jones pension cancelled because money he collected for relief of debtors at Marshalsea and injured soldiers he kept for himself.

I don't know whether the above helps but I would suggest putting place names into Genuki and looking to see if they are a nearby place to Little Marlow etc. 

Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Hambleden & Little Marlow PRs
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 07 16:05 BST (UK) »
Steph,

Thanks everso for going to the trouble of looking all that up for me. It's very much appreciated.

I like the sound of the various Robert Jones (also the name of George & Kat's eldest son) - especially the innkeeper in Beaconsfield, which is only about 10 miles from Little Marlow.

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hambleden & Little Marlow PRs - JONES
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Don't know if this will be any help at all, found some Little Marlow Marriages for the period you requested:

8 Apr 1687 James JONES  Jane MOUDY
1 Jan 1692/3 Henry MONTAGUE Sarah JONES
3 June 1718 William EAST otp  Mary JONES otp
13 Feb 1725/6 Thos JONES of Stoken Church  Kat TYLER otp

Kind regards,
ANYAS

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks everso, Anyas.

I think I've come across the Thomas Jones/Kat Tyler marriage before (another lot of Joneses I'm looking for in a slightly different branch of my tree!! The curse of the Joneses!)

Given that I seem to remember they didn't have any children baptised in Little Marlow, I'm wondering if Thomas died and Kat Jones remarried to my George Russell. I'd really appreciate it, if you have the Little Marlow burials, if you could look to see if Thomas Jones was buried there between 1725 and 1730. I've got the Stokenchurch PRs and there's no sign of Thomas's burial there. However, there's also no sign of any children in Stokenchurch to Thomas & Kat.

I've got a copy of the parish record for the George/Kat marriage but it's one of those that just states the bare facts, so no mention of her being a widow - just that she was otp. Also, I wonder if the parish clerk called all Katherines 'Kat' or if this is a clue to it being the same lady?

Pushing my luck here, I know! - but is there a mention of the baptism for Kat Tyler in about 1695-1710? I'd be interested to see if her parents' names match up at all with the names given to my Kat's children by George Russell.

Thanks,
Jill
HELP!!!

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Unfortunately I do not have any access to burial or baptism records for that period just some marriages.  There is a slight possibility that I may be visiting Bucks in the next month or so, if I do I will try to find some info for you if you can wait that long.

In the meantime, this may be of interest:

25 Mar 1705/6  TYLER Robt  Banns  AMAN Catherine

Kind regards,

ANYAS

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Anyas,

Thanks for that. I think the 1705/6 marriage is really promising - you might well have found my Kat!

The fact that Katherine was the name given to George & Kat Russell's first daughter in 1731( and then again when she died to another child in 1748) wasn't necessarily indicative of anything - she could just have been naming her daughter after herself. However, the fact that their first son was named Robert is fantastic. I really feel that Kat Tyler could be who I'm looking for.

Of course, the clincher would be to find the burial of Thomas Jones between their marriage in Feb 1725/26 and Kat's remarriage in Nov 1730.

I'd love to take you up on your offer if you do go to Bucks. I'll try posting a request for a look up in the Bucks Burial Index (if there is one!) in the meantime and, if I have any luck, I'll let you know.

Thanks so much for your help, Anyas.   ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
Anyas & Steph,

I just had to share this with you!

I had such a strong feeling about the Kat Tyler that Anyas found in Little Marlow that I requested a Burial Search by the Bucks FHS to see if they could come up with Thomas Jones's burial between his marriage to Kat Tyler in 1725/6 and her remarriage to George Russell in 1730.

Ta da!!

Buried in Little Marlow on 28 Aug 1729  Thomas Joanes of Stokenchurch.

Thaks so much for your help - I wouldn't have got there without you!!    ;D ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 21:17 BST (UK) »

Hi Jill,

I'm so pleased for you.  Glad I was of some help.

Kind regards,

ANYAS