Author Topic: John Muir Cameron married Frances Slevin  (Read 2012 times)

Offline slevco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Muir Cameron married Frances Slevin
« on: Sunday 24 June 07 17:39 BST (UK) »
John Muir Cameron born 1896 in Glasgow.  I found him on the 1901 Census, he was a Butcher, the same as his father, Thomas Cameron.   I also found the death of Frances in The Royal Infirmary in 1933; I had always been told that she died in childbirth but I cannot see any evidence of a child being born. I would dearly love to find where she and he were buried.  I believed they lived in Earl Street and she was a RC.  Would some kind person point me in the right direction as this is the only Scottish connection I have, the rest of mine are Irish. Thank you.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Muir Cameron married Frances Slevin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
hi pal, would love to help with yer scottish connection, wis thomas cameron also scottish? who is frances? wife of john?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
hi,
i was reading your post and i wondered how he could he be a butcher in 1901 if he was born in 1896?
what was the cause of death on the death certificate?
What was the address on the marrage certificate?
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline slevco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy replies!  Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I found John on the 1901 Census, and he later became a Butcher, the same as his father, Thomas Cameron.  Thomas Cameron was married to Elizabeth Jamieson and they lived at White Street, at the time of the census. John had five siblings. I have not found his  marriage to Frances yet, as they may have married in US.  On the Death Cert it says " (undeciperable word.)thrombosis...5 days. paralysis of intestines."  she was 32.  

And Thomas Cameron was also born in Glasgow.

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
oh dear  :(

1 1896 CAMERON JOHN MUIR M PARTICK GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 646/03 1375 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
this is john's birth on scotlands people.  this will give you an address for the family.
if he was a butcher like his father, do you think he could have worked in the family business.  maybe we could look at the phonebooks on ancestry.  do you think the butcher's was in glasgow around 1933?
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
1 1894 SLEVIN FRANCES MCGLINC F BRIDGETON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/01 1662 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
do you reckon this is frances's birth?

Offline slevco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 07 19:08 BST (UK) »
I know very little about John but Frances was my aunt and was born in Ireland.   As you can see my knowledge is sketchy!  What I am particularly interested in i where I would find their graves, but any information would be great.

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 07 19:55 BST (UK) »
i've had a quick look and can see 2 cameron butcher's in glasgow in the 30s, robrt cameron and j.clelland cameron.  probably not yours.
on the death certificate it should say the usual residence.  Is there an address there and we could look on a map to see where the nearest church or cemetry was?
caroline

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 June 07 19:57 BST (UK) »
hang on a minute - exciting thought!  i had a quick look on a map and earl street is right beside the address for the robert cameron butcher in the phonebook.  Could be a coincidence i know but it could be the family butchers