Author Topic: Elizabeth Thompson  (Read 37652 times)

Offline betty53

• Email address not working please contact support for Help
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Thompson
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 01 September 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
The marriage would give her father's name. Jane might have been known as Jeannie but most like would have signed as Jane on the marriage.
If you can find no trace of Jane Harper Thompson in the registry office it could be that she a) died young, b) never married or c) didn't marry in Limavady area.

Dear aghadowey

I have come across a reference to a Jane Thompson who died in 1914 and was buried in Drumachose (don't know which Drumachose, whether CofI or Presby).  I searched both graveyards last week and came up with nothing.  If this is Jane Harper Thompson then she would have been about 19.  I have asked emeraldancestors to try and trace this death but no result.  Would you be able to help?  I found the reference in the irishgenealoy gravestone index but couldn't pay using worldpay facility.

Regards
Betty

Offline betty53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 01 September 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Aghadowey

by the way, Jeannie Thompson was NOT Jane Harper Thompson.  Jeannie turned out to be the mssing first wife of my grandfather James Thompson - a complete surprise.  No father mentioned on marriage cert, therefore don't know who mother was either.   Have also managed to trace missing relatives of that marriage to Coleraine (Downes).  by sheer chance I rang the wrong number of same surname in Coleraine and spoke to a very old lady whose father seems to have purchased the land from my grt-grt grandfather.  We had a wonderful chat and she is aware that there is a family bible somewhere but its location had evaded her.  I might be able to trace it if I find relevant phone numbers for the Starrett family who then bought the land and had the wee country shop just at the turnoff to Drumneechy road. 

Isn't life just a series of coincidences!!

Regards
Betty

Offline betty53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:39 GMT (UK) »
For those of you who may have been following this topic - I have some surprising news from a lady called Doreen Stone, Worcester, England.  She writes:

My grandparents were Alexander and Elizabeth Thompson, buried in Christ Church Limavady.  They had a daughter Jane who never married, a daughter Margaret who married Henry Tate of Limavady, and a son John Ranki Thompson who settled and married in Belfast.  My father is no buried in Christ Church Limavady with his parents.

Out of the blue and such a lovely surprise since I had found no mention of the children Margaret or John.

Betty

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Ah Betty....

So Glad to hear your wonderful news!!!  Here's hoping I have the same luck with my Thompson's....

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline betty53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 27 December 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
For anyone following this Thompson thread, I have the following:

Jane Harper Thompson (Jeannie) unmarried, died 02/04/1973 (daughter of Alexander & Elizabeth Thompson)

had 2 children as follows:

Ethel Thompson died 27/05/1961 (unmarried I think)
Gerald Thompson died 29/11/1980

Also there is Violet Thompson whom I believe is Gerald's wife died 27/02/1988
All buried in ChristChurch graveyard Limavady. 

No children that I can trace.

Offline betty53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 27 December 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
For those wishing to follow the Thompson thread, I have managed to get some part of the family tree online.  If you go to www.storyfinders.co.uk and navigate to the Limavady site, under the tab Research, you will find THOMPSONS OF LIMAVADY.  The following link also goes online.

http://www.familytreelegends.com/trees/bmcnerlin/1/reports/descendant/35

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 28 December 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Ach Betty....

Just had a wee listen to your BBC interview....brilliant!!!  Again good luck in your quest....

Wendy 
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline glastocat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Aghadowey

by the way, Jeannie Thompson was NOT Jane Harper Thompson.  Jeannie turned out to be the mssing first wife of my grandfather James Thompson - a complete surprise.  No father mentioned on marriage cert, therefore don't know who mother was either.   Have also managed to trace missing relatives of that marriage to Coleraine (Downes).  by sheer chance I rang the wrong number of same surname in Coleraine and spoke to a very old lady whose father seems to have purchased the land from my grt-grt grandfather.  We had a wonderful chat and she is aware that there is a family bible somewhere but its location had evaded her.  I might be able to trace it if I find relevant phone numbers for the Starrett family who then bought the land and had the wee country shop just at the turnoff to Drumneechy road. 

Isn't life just a series of coincidences!!

Regards
Betty

betty53, I know this is an old thread but I may be able to help you. I did a google search tonight for Drumneechy and Starret, and found this thread. The Starretts you are talking about are my grandparents that had the corner shop. They called the house Drumneechy. They have both passed away, as has my father, but I have two uncles who still live in the area and may be able to help. One of them has the Starrett family bible, I'm not sure if this is the one you are looking for? Let me know if you are still chasing this up! Hope this helps.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 24 October 19 03:36 BST (UK) »
betty, ifound the index for the births on irish genealogy.

regards mary.

Dear Mary

I am wondering if Edward Thompson born 1848/9 (father Alexander Thompson) had a brother Alexander Thompson born 1845.  Can you recommend any good sites which let you see siblings instead of guessing?  I only get limited success with IGI. 

Also, did marriages sometimes not get entered at all?  Family history says that Andrew Thompson married Catherine George and I have seen the headstone where she is named Catherine thompson died 17/2/1949 aged 48 yrs but I cannot trace a marriage cert anywhere. 

Regards
Betty
(ps) I am getting better at this but it sure eats up the hours.

Dear Mary

I have found first marriage of Grt Grandfather (Edward Thompson to Rebecca McCurdy 1870) and have found one daughter Margaret born 1871.  I then found 2 marriages and wonder if you would be able to source for me which one belongs to my family?

Margaret Thompson married Hugh Smith Bovevagh 22 Apr 1904
or
Margaret Thompson married James Seawright Bovevagh 04 May 1899

Regards
Betty

Hi Betty,

Margaret 1 is my GG Grandmother. Her father is listed as Archibald Thompson born in 1822 (supposedly).

I have been trying and struggling to research the Thompson line of Bovevagh. Archibald married Elizabeth Jane Loughlin in 1862.

I cannot find any record of Archibald or Elizabeth Jane anywhere aside from their children's baptisms. I searched in the census's for both of them and found nothing.

There are no wills or burial records for Elizabeth Jane or Archibald. I have came across the two Archibald burials that you listed but they don't tie in with the 1822 birth date.

I did find this but I do not know if this is my Elizabeth Jane: https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenant/image.aspx?image=W0016330004

Archibald's father is listed as John, and he at the time lived in Glenconway. There is the issue that there appears to be another Thompson family in Lisdillion over the road, I don't know if my branch are connected to them or if my Archibald came from there.

Do you know anything about this 'Archibald' that I have referenced or where I could look to find him? I know that he was Church of Ireland. I'm not sure whether to look in Boveagh or Banagher grave yards, or if I should be searching for a Samuel?! This is very frustrating!

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Tirkeeran/Upper_Cumber/Killgort/16/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Kennaught/Bovevagh/Drumniecy/13/

I have no idea, honestly. There is too many Thompson's to tie them down.