Author Topic: Bere Alston OPRs  (Read 12303 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Bere Alston OPRs
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne.

Thanks for the info on Tamar Smelting Works and Percival Johnson. It's hard to envisage the area as it would have been in the 1800's isn't it. I've done a fair bit of research into the copper/arsenic mining and refining industry but the silver/lead mining and smelting industry has sort of slipped past me so far.
Strange isn't it; we went for a walk by the river at Weir Quay this afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised to see a sign on a gate saying "South Tamar Mine pb/Ag - Keep Out". That's my first sighting of anything to do with silver/lead working.

Thanks for the link to the "Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley"  website. I've met Robert Waterhouse(the author) a couple of times. He was in charge of the work at Morwellhamm Quay upto a couple of years ago when Devon Council pulled the financial plug. He was kind enough at the time to give me some assistance with my own research.

I don't know if you've already seen it, but there's another excellent site giving information on the same subject: http://people.exeter.ac.uk/pfclaugh/mhinf/tamar_sw.htm

I'll have to keep an eye out for Rev.Beddow's booklet - may not be on Amazon but there'll be a copy somewhere.

Thanks again, Suzanne for the info.

Regards, David

Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Bere Alston OPRs
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie.

All done. I've sent the photos to your email. Anything else, don't hesitate. We'll probably be down here till well into the New Year.

David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.