Author Topic: Isaac Foss - Beaulieu  (Read 1855 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Foss - Beaulieu
« on: Tuesday 26 June 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
I'm still struggling with my Foss ancestors at Beaulieu. I now have 3 different marriage date transcriptions for Isaac Foss and Sarah Holley: 11th, 13th and 30th Oct 1795  ???

Does anyone have access to the original registers, or know where I can get copies? I'd love to find out more about Isaac's ancestors, who I'm led to believe may have come from France originally.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Foss - Beaulieu
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Mike,

I can't find any online transcription and the LDS do not list a film for that date  :(

Winchester hold the original registers and have film & fiche copies.  There don't appear to be any transcriptions in the local reference libraries.  And the SoG don't hold anything for that date.  :(

Is someone going to Winchester who can help Mike?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,

Thanks for looking. I found one of the transcriptions on the Hampshire OPC Project website: http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_B/Beaulieu/Marriages/marriages.htm, which I imagine is probably linked somewhere on RootsChat.

The handwriting must be very poor, judging by some of the transcriptions. IsaacFoss (if indeed it is he!) is interpreted as "Juane? Fop", and in fact this is under Marriage Banns (11th Oct 1795) which would explain at least one of the alternative dates I have. There are also several entries for the name "Pufs" which I suspect may actually be Foss, written with the old long "s", ie. "Fofs" . . . unless anyone knows better  :-\

Mike.

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 June 07 08:05 BST (UK) »
The surname PUSS certainly occurs in the New Forest.  It may be a variant of FOSS or could be a different name.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 June 07 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearkat, PUFS is certainly more likely to be an interpretation of PUSS than FOSS.  I hadn't come across them before, but I've checked them out and not yet found any that could tie in with my FOSS ancestors. If it is a corruption of the name, it may be a different branch of the family.

Mike.

Offline Mervyn G

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike, read your post and thought initially it referred to my Great grandparents, Issac Foss and Sarah (Lowe) but  it would seem Issac would probably be the great grandson of the Issac you're looking for.
Family story is that the family (Foss and Lowe plus some others) moved, or were moved, to the Osbourne estate shortly after it was re-build, allegedly, as a "present" from the Duke of Buccleuch whose estate was at the time, very overmanned. I know he lived and worked as a gardener on the estate, ultimately becoming Head Gardener, my grandmother (Hilda) May Foss was also a seamstress there until the start of the war in 1914 when she was moved AV Roe to utilise her sewing skills in making airplane wings. As a point of interest, my Great Grandfathers uncle Ambrose Foss and his wife Mark and 5 children (plus other totaling, I think 38 individuals) were paid for and financed by the Duke to emigrate to South Africa where the town of Richmond Natal (originally called Beaulieu) was populated. Reference the French connection, another family legend has it that the the name was originally Fosse and originated from a captured French sailor who was then put to work at Bucklers Hard and ended up staying and marrying a local, subsequently modifying or adopting Foss as the family name. Not much help with your search, but hope of interest.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mervyn. It's been a while since I researched the Foss branch of my tree but I did make some headway over the years, however I will have to refresh my memory before making any meaningful response. I think there are at least two points in your post that I had not heard before. I'm always interested to find odd bits of information to help build up a better picture of my ancestors' lives.

I will try to find time to go over my research and perhaps we might compare notes at some point.

Mike.