Author Topic: Leic & Rutland F.H.S.  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Leic & Rutland F.H.S.
« on: Thursday 09 December 04 15:16 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

Anyone researching their Leicestershire ancestors could consider joining the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society on:-

www.lrfhs.org.uk

:) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline paulh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 04 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I have e-mailed them weeks ago >:(their web site has not been updated since 21st Sept 04 :(
Hanger.
Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire/Leicestershire/Warwickshire...so far

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 04 18:09 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D

Hi

If you click on the area of Leicestershire where your ancestors came from, and contact that particular Branch, I'm sure you'll get a better result.
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline paulh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 04 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Ok mobo, will give it a try ;)
cheers
paul
Hanger.
Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire/Leicestershire/Warwickshire...so far

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
Re: Leic & Rutland F.H.S.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 23:50 BST (UK) »
I am a member, their resources and expert knowledge is endless. They do a nice booklet too.

Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
I was briefly a member but yes, I found their IT resources very dated, clunky and inadequate. (This may be because on the one time that I went to the "HQ" in person, I brought the average age down quite markedly - and I'm not that young!) I'm not local and couldn't regularly use the resource/archive room that they have, so I let it go.

Having said that, I've just had a look at their webpage and it looks a lot better than it used to; it used to be a nightmare to view on screen, all different colour fonts on a black background, ugh. Looks as though a new broom has had a bit of a sweep  :P.  Well done, that new broom   ;D.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
OH and I are members of the Hinckley group of LRFHS, and they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
 ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I have had great help and wonderful times at their HQ at pilot house. Yes some of their stuff is dated, but its stuff you can't get online, they have accounts for ancestry and FindMyPast which you may use, plus shelves of books, all set out like a huge  library just for local family history, you can't but all their stuff online ;-)

Kind regards

Derek C Goodwin.
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I used to be a member but like Annie I live over a 100 miles away so visiting the resource centre regularly is not practicable. Obviously I could but after travelling both ways my time for research would be limited, and without knowing what's available could be a complete waste of time. 

I just had a quick look at their website and while it certainly isn't state of the art it's a lot better than it used to be. Nevertheless websites are what we all need these days so the more that can be put online the better and maybe that would attract more members and consequently help to pay for the content and upkeep.