Author Topic: Millership, Milliship & Melleship 1851 Census  (Read 2605 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millership, Milliship & Melleship 1851 Census
« on: Wednesday 27 June 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the family of Richard and Prudence Millership in the 1851 census.
I have them in 1841 in Himley Rd. Dudley and in 1861 where Prudence was living with her daughter-in-law in Sams Lane. (RG 2025 78 6) but I can't find them in 1851, probably because I haven't found the right spelling and the 1851 census search I have access to won't let me search just on christian names. Hoping it will give me Richard's birthplace.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millership, Milliship & Melleship 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
1851 census HO107 2036 folio 730
Fellows Street Kingswinford Staffordshire
Joshua Mullett 41 Dudley Worcestershire Head Married Coalminer
Catharine Mullett 41 Dudley Worcestershire Wife Married Shopkeeper
Betsey Mullett 19  Dudley Worcestershire Daughter Dressmaker
Mercy Mullett 10  Dudley Worcestershire Daughter
Prudence Mellandship 63 Dudley Worcestershire Visitor Widow 

JOSHUA WYNNE MULLETT
CATHERINE MILLICHIP 
Marriage:  20 APR 1829   Kingswinford, Stafford

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,
Thanks for the reply. Another spelling to add to my list!!!!!!! Should be the Prudence I'm looking for, place of birth and age right. Don't know the connection to Catherine. I have a Catherine Millecheap baptised in Dudley in 1810 but her parents are given as Richard and Mary.  Richard's wife could have been Prudence Mary I suppose.

Unfortunately, for me and him!, he had died by 1851, so I'm no nearer to finding where he was born.

Thanks again
Eric

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 23:29 BST (UK) »
It doesn't actually say on either the 1851 or the 1861 census that Prudence was a 'mother' or mother-in-law' to either woman. Her status is given as boarder and visitor. The 1841 census of course does not give relationships.

RICHARD MILLITSHIP
MARY DUDLEY 
Marriage:  30 JAN 1810   All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford

Do you have Prudence's death registration? In what first name/s was her death registered?

Regards

Valda

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 07 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,
There was a death registered for Prudence Millership at West Bromwich in Dec Q. 1869 (aged 90).
Richard and Prudence married in 1807, but the only two children I can find are Thomas and John in the 1841 census, and they were born around 1820 - 1825 according to the census. I haven't found any other children in the IGI. (Richard and Mary for whom  I haven't found a marriage, had 3 children from 1806 to 1815)

It was Prudence's  husband Richard that I am really interested in. I knew Prudence was living with her daughter in law in 1861 and I thought it would be easier for someone to find a Prudence than a Richard, hoping that he would still be alive. I have been trying for some time to piece together all the Millership families, particularly those who left the Foleshill/Bedworth area around 1800, but I'm begining to think it is too big a task!!!! There are too many and too many spellings.

Thanks for your interest
Regards
Eric

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 07 01:37 BST (UK) »
Eric

What evidence do you have that Prudence and Richard married in 1807?

The only reference on the IGI is this

PRUDENT SMITH
RICHARD MILICHIP 
Marriage:  18 MAY 1807   Tipton, Stafford

Not a reference taken directly from a parish register entry but from a submission submitted by a Mormon church member (such submissions should always be treated with great care as they can be just wishful thinking).

Tipton marriage registers have been indexed by the IGI 1574-1837

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyStafford_(N-Z).htm#T

You can access the IGI indexes for Tipton directly from Hugh Wallis' website. They do not show the marriage.
Have you checked the actual marriage register itself? If the marriage exists then Richard's parish of residence at the time might be helpful, along with the names of the witnesses.

If the marriage cannot be found then it is possible that Prudence was a second wife and that Richard married firstly Mary (or Mary was Mary Prudence as you have thought). Have you been able to eliminate the possibility there was such a first marriage? If it was Prudence's second marriage as well, that would account for her being older.

As I said the 1851 and 1861 censuses do not specify a relationship to the head of house merely visitor and boarder. What evidence do you have that Prudence was staying (for that night at least) with her daughter-in-law in 1861 and not her step daughter-in-law. You state it as a fact but what proof do you have?

Regards

Valda

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 07 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,
Yes the only evidence I have for the marriage of Richard and Prudence is the entry in the IGI. There are actually 2 entries , one with Thomas's surname spelt Milliohip! I haven't seen the actual registers, but I would find it difficult to get to the necessary records office. The IGI , from the parish registers, for Tipton only has some 22 marriages from the 1600s to 1837. The entries in the IGI from the LDS source are transcriptions from the registers of Tipton and Sedgely, running into several hundred entries. The couple of marriages I checked from the IGI via Parish Register and the IGI via the LDS source agreed. The entries are, I think, reliable, or as reliable as any transcription is.

I don't think Prudence was Richard's second wife. Richard would have been only 16 - 19 at the marriage in 1807, based on the 1841 census age, and Prudence would have been about the same age. I haven't searched properly for Prudence's birth. There were a lot of Prudence Smiths around at the time!!!!

I must admit that I assumed that Prudence was staying with her daughter in law in 1861. That family are in the 1851 census with husband Thomas, who was the right age for the Thomas I have as the son(presumably) of Richard and Prudence in the 1841 census.

Regards
Eric

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 07 09:27 BST (UK) »
Going directly to the IGI coverage for Tipton marriages in 1807 from Hugh Wallis' website I count 64 marriages for 1807 (only 1 of which was in May - 25th Sarah Socket and Edward Geary). The source given is the Bishop's Transcripts for Tipton which of course could have gaps.
Sedgely marriages have coverage directly from the parish registers, but coverage only goes as far as 1808 for marriages.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/

The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry is one of the largest local family history societies and has a complete marriage index for Staffordshire up to 1837 including St Martin's Tipton.

http://www.bmsgh.org/

http://www.bmsgh.org/search/st_marr_Index.html

Regards

Valda

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 June 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda, Thanks for the reply.
I don't know how I only turned up 20odd marriages for Tipton on the IGI, I must have had some other restriction on the search page which I had not deleted.

I shall retire for the weekend to lick my wounds, we have visitors so won't have time for important things. My only hope of defence is that Richard and Prudence's marriage got missed off the Bishops transcripts.
I shall invest in a request from the bmsgh. I am a member so can get a discount!!!!! I have several other lookups needed for Tipton, so it will be worthwhile.

I'll let you know what turns up.
Thanks for your interest

Eric