Author Topic: AVON family of Queenstown, County Cork  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
AVON family of Queenstown, County Cork
« on: Thursday 28 June 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
Seeking any reference to the AVON family of Queenstown County Cork. In particular any reference to the birth, Marriage and death of George AVON or his daughter-in-law Mary AVON.

George was born in Queenstown on the 31st March, 1831. Married a Catherine (Kate) McCARTHY around the late 1860's? and died post 1888. Was with the RN Coastguard, and in 1887 was station at Dunmore East. Had one child born in Ireland around 1875 (Catherine) and son Joseph in 1887. Further children born in England, around Dorset.

Mary died 25th December, 1923 in Queenstown (Cobh) whilst giving birth, aged 30. Would like to find any reference in newspaper or similar relating to her death.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AVON family of Queenstown, County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 07 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you MOSSEY.

I tend to think the father James may have been the brother of my George AVON. I remember a few years ago coming across a reference to James AVON marrying a Margaret McCARTHY and within a couple of years at the same Church a George AVON married a Catherine McCARTHY. I was left with the impression it was two brothers married to two sisters? I haven't been able to find that reference now I have come back to look for it. Typical. Again thank you for you help.
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline LookingForAvon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I am so excited to see this post!!!! I have been trying to get some info for years!!!!
GEORGE AVON married Catherine McCarthy in Cork and I do believe his brother married her sister. George  and Catherine did have more children in Dorset, England, where he was stationed in the Coast Guard. One of those children were George Charles Avon who married Mary Anny Kenny from Quilty, Co Clare (My grandparents). George was also in the Coast Guard/ Customs Excise Officer and stationed in Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim and had 6 children. Two of those children died at a very young age. Their surviving children were Jackie (John) Avon, Kate (Kitty) Avon, Maureen Avon and Michael Joe Avon. Jackie and Micheal Joe have recently passed, Maureen lives in England and Kitty is in the U.S. I would greatly appreciate any family info you can share and if there are those still alive I would love to connect with. My mother is Kitty and being that she was so young when both her parents died, she has no connection with family and she would love to. She will be 85 in a few months and I know she would work in her Aunt's pub in Cork now and then. Any infor would be so much appreciated. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I have just sent you a personal message so hopefully it worked. If not get back to me and I will try again.

Sturdy

PARK family Glasgow

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »

Sturdy

I think you can only recieve PMs after you have posted 3 times,  that is my understanding,  maybe wrong,   

I was talking to 'LookingForAvon'  in the chat room earlier and they are very excited to hear from you,  ooooo  just remebered,  i think i have the email addy,  i will PM you....LOL

daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Daizi for putting us in touch. I have just sent LookingforAvon an email. Looking forward to comparing notes as we have definitely from the same stock (or at least my wife is)

Many thanks

Sturdy

PARK family Glasgow