Author Topic: Warneford Hospital in leamington  (Read 4863 times)

Offline sutton498

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warneford Hospital in leamington
« on: Friday 29 June 07 13:07 BST (UK) »
can anyone give me any info on Warneford Hospital Pre 1860. Ie was it surgical general etc. i have a relative registered as being a patient in the 1851 census. Her name was Elizabeth Harvey
Thank you Dawn
sutton swindon,everton dudley,parnaby durham,flint coventry,wilcox coventry.Mcrobb aberdeen.adams aberdeen.

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Warneford Hospital in leamington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you use the online catologue from Warwickshire RO

http://archivesunlocked.warwickshire.gov.uk/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

Input Warneford as your search and take a look at number 7 - it lists the catalogue numbers and references to records held of the hospital.

It looks as though patient records dont start until after your ancestor was in the hospital, only minute books cover 1851.

there are though a lot of photographs of this hospital and other records concerning the hospital.

lemon

Offline dabs0

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
Warnford was a general hospital and served as surgical, general and maternity. It served Leamington Spa/Priors and the villages surrounding it, such as Southam etc. It closed in the 80's and now is a housing estate.

http://www.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk/ will have some photos of the hospital.

Debbie
Wright and Lock, Warwickshire
Lenton, Warwickshire
Bloor, Staffordshire
Cresswell, Derbyshire
Bosworth, Derbyshire
Robinson and Bodfish, Warwickshire
Tharme/Thrume Farme Staffordshire
Pegg, Leicestershire

Offline FormerLeamingtonian

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I was born at the Warenford back in the 1960's, and my Father worked there for a while. I still have this old Lithograph of one of the Chief Surgeons, which they threw out when they refurbished the lobby many years ago. My Dad saved it from the skip. Mr. Joseph Morris was the House Surgeon and then the Hon House Surgeon back i the 1800's. This photo was taken by Bullock Bros, 20 Lower Parade in Leamington, and is an old Lithograph.

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I remember in the fifties going there a few times to have stitches. The maternity place was called Kay Block. My brother and sister were born there in 47/48 and my son was born there in 1978. My cousin was born there in Nov 1946 hence her middle name Kay. She told me she was one of the first babies born there.
Alan
Warwickshire-      Green, Mansell
Gloucestershire-   Mansell, Haines
Worcestershire-    Haynes, Simms
Oxfordshire-         Green. Hawkins
Leicestershire-      Kirby. Gee
North Shields-      Middlemiss, Haines, Faircloth