Author Topic: Looking for Robert John Clark  (Read 3060 times)

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Robert John Clark
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 December 18 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Good find!  :)

I assume the leap has been made to Robert being Aboriginal is based on the word 'half-caste' being written in his old records somewhere.

However, if Robert was born in England c1830 and his mother was also born in England, it is not only unlikely but near impossible.

My thinking is that his unknown father had a dark complexion - possibly African or Caribbean (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/black_britons_01.shtml). Given the prejudice at the time in Tasmania and the fact that assumptions about Aboriginality were made simply on skin colour, it is not difficult to imagine how he might then have been so labelled in documents.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 December 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Just found this information which might fill in some gaps or create more questions!

https://www.orphanschool.org.au/showorphan.php?orphan_ID=945

Mother noted as Ann WOOLMORE, a widow.  This surname would be from her second marriage. Assuming this is the same lady, her death notice from Trove (The Mercury, Hobart, Mon. 24th March, 1884) states:

'WOOLMORE - On Sunday, 23rd instant, at the residence of her son-in-law, Captain Myers, No 37, Macquarie-street, Ann Woolmore, in the 80th year of her age.'

The following link shows an image of Ann's burial record, confirming age, address and that she was born in England.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9NW-YPKT?i=135&cc=1935075

Regards,
Andrea

Am I having a senior moment?  :-\

How is he an orphan if his mother didnít die until 1884?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 December 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Orphan schools were for destitute children as well as orphans. Essentially it means his mother could not provide for him.  :( They were part of the welfare system.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, mollipops.  :)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 December 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Just found this information which might fill in some gaps or create more questions!

https://www.orphanschool.org.au/showorphan.php?orphan_ID=945

Mother noted as Ann WOOLMORE, a widow.  This surname would be from her second marriage. Assuming this is the same lady, her death notice from Trove (The Mercury, Hobart, Mon. 24th March, 1884) states:

'WOOLMORE - On Sunday, 23rd instant, at the residence of her son-in-law, Captain Myers, No 37, Macquarie-street, Ann Woolmore, in the 80th year of her age.'

The following link shows an image of Ann's burial record, confirming age, address and that she was born in England.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9NW-YPKT?i=135&cc=1935075

Regards,
Andrea

The 6 July 1838 marriage registration shows Ann Clark as a spinster marrying Francis Woolmore a bachelor (convict per John 2nd).

So you are looking for an illegitimate birth with mother Clark.

I donít know if these records can be linked: https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD36-1-3p9j2k

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 December 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Where have you got the half-caste reference from.

I agree with Mollimops and itís highly unlikely there is an aboriginality connection.

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 18 07:03 GMT (UK) »
If it the correct child in the orphanage and mother, then he was born earlier than previously stated:

Ď4yrs
Date admitted: 5 Aug 1833 Ď

Thus birth 1829ish.

Jamjar