Author Topic: Elizabeth Auld  (Read 3085 times)

Offline time_detective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is the gold at the end of the rainbow
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Auld
« on: Saturday 30 June 07 05:00 BST (UK) »
I'm totally baffled by my great grandmother Elizabeth Auld. 

I have her marriage cert when she married Henry Grant, 4 June 1880 and her death cert 8 Oct 1922, both of which state that her father was John Auld and mother Mary Bain.  On the marriage cert her age could be anything between 22 and 28, (the age is ambiguous), meaning her birth year could be anything between 1852 and 1858. 

Her death cert puts her age at age at death as 68, meaning her birth year would be 1854 (not very helpful considering SRI's were introduced in 1855).  The only verifyable census returns I have are 1881, 1891 and 1901 on which her birth year varies between 1851 and 1853.  All census returns state that Elizabeth was born Wick, Caithness, (he husband Henry Grant was registered as being from Poulteneytown, Wick, Caithness).

I have tried all sorts of spelling variations of Auld and Bain, but can find no marriage between a John Auld and Mary Bain, anywhere in Scotland and similarly I am unable to find any birth details of Elizabeth, either under the surname of Bain or Auld, with a mother of Mary.

The only other info I can give is that John Auld is shown as deceased on Elizabeth's marriage cert, but her mother appears to be living.

I'm stumped - anyone got any ideas?  I'm tearing my hair out!!

Offline Kin-getter

• RootsChat Senior
  • "I grow old ever learning new things"
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Auld
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 07 14:24 BST (UK) »
Have PM'd you.

James.
Ayrshire: Craig, Orr.