Author Topic: peebles beltane festival jubilee book  (Read 8315 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
peebles beltane festival jubilee book
« on: Saturday 30 June 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the ubille book of the Peebles Beltane published in 1949.  It lists all the;
 beltane queens up to tht date,
 the Cornets,
 the 'ladies who have bussd the colours'
 wardens of cross kirk,
 ladies who have crowned the queen,
 and wardens of neidpath.

it also has quite a lot of photos.  If anyone would like me to look for any of their relatives, let me know!
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline MJDickson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: peebles beltane festival jubilee book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppysmum. Your post caught my eye, as I also have that book - it was presented to me (and every other child at school) by the Peebles March Riding and Beltane Queen Festival in 1949. I also have photos of myself as one of the "Children from many lands: - a japanese girls with (paper) chrysanthemums in my hair.  I also have photos of my father (as an archer) and Uncle (a sailor and later as a page to the Queen)
Some of the photos in the book show a Mr Lawrie, who was at the time I went to school, the headmaster. He was known to all the kids as Baldy Lawrie. (He used to throw the "strap" or tawse at any offending child in class, and the child had to pick it up and deliver it to Blady Lawrie, who would then follow through with the punishment of gign the strap to the palm of your hand. Licking the hand beforehand did not reduce the pain!)
In the photo section where it has a photo of "Coronets lass bussing the colours" the coronet is J Hunter Smith, who lived accross the road from me in Old Town.
Borders:Brown, Walls, Harrower, Allan, Scrimagour, , Cochrane, Turnbull, Seymour, Renton, Scott, Beattie.  Ribchester:King, Eastham. 
USA: Meserve, Bumford

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The book is my Uncle Gary's book, he was given it at school in 1949.  His proper name was Walter Smith but he was always known as Gary and his nickname at school was 'casey'.  My auntie still lives in peebles and she also has a book.  We still have a lot of family in Peebles.  Uncle Gary was the crown bearer in 1956.
If you were at school at this time you probably know my aunt and uncle and my mum.
Do you still live in Peebles?
Caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline MJDickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, none of those names ring a bell. I did leave Peebles around 1950. I have attached a photo (hope its the right one, of the Japanese dress I wore) I have 2 cousins who live in Peebles, Kenny and David. I now live in Western Australia, having migrated out here in the late 60s.  Regards, Maureen (nee Brown)
Borders:Brown, Walls, Harrower, Allan, Scrimagour, , Cochrane, Turnbull, Seymour, Renton, Scott, Beattie.  Ribchester:King, Eastham. 

Offline MJDickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 07 10:54 BST (UK) »
Wrong photo. However, the page on the right front is my Uncle James (Jim) Brown

Offline MJDickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
Got the right photo this time. The building at the back is Kingsland school. The boy on the right is my cousin David, but I don't know qho the boy on the left is, however the name Freddie Forrest comes to mind - probably not him though. Maureen

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 20 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I understand this post is quiet old, so I'm not sure if the OP is still active on this forum. If not, hopefully someone else may be able to assist.

Attached is a photo, which as I understand it is Edith Turnbull, 1918 Beltane Queen. She is my second great Aunt.

I was hoping someone might be able to verify this, and if anyone might have any other information about her. (D.O.B 10 Jul 1904 Peebles, D.O.D 7 Mar 1990 Melrose). 

Thanks,

Suzanne

Offline MissBrodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 22 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have ancestors who I think took part in the Peebles Beltane Festival. Would anyone with a copy of the 1949 book be willing to check out their names please? They were Margaret (Peggy), Mary (Polly) and Annie Scott. I'd imagine the time line to be around 1915.

Many Thanks

M Brodie