Author Topic: Gray family  (Read 33402 times)

Offline lillymoon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heron/Gray/Smith
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 January 11 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Gray girl if you followed the link to a site abt the grays on the rtfhs I wrote that site. I know a fair bit abt the midland grays but dont know of a stanley gray (only a stanley barron), and a cursory check of the census yielded no clues so I guess he was born after 1901?
If you have any earlier data, or If you can get his birth cert or even a marriage one which gives a fathers name, I might be able to help link you to the great family tree.

I know this is an old post(2007) but I do know of Stanley and Clara they are my Great Aunt and Uncle.
They descend from Ossory and Elizabeth.

As most researchers of the Grays know he had a son called Osary or Ossri .
He had a daughter By the name of Jane/Genty /Jenty depending on which census you look at.
She had a liaison/marriage with Charles Smith'
They produced a son called Obadiha ,He was given for some unknown reason his mothers surname so all his descendants are Gray and not Smith.

He had about four wives or partners and many children.
His last wife was Adah Gray His cousin who was a bit younger than him.In the 1901 census she is 27 and he is 44 years old.
Four children are mentioned in this census,

Lapolius Samuel Gray  Known as Poley   5yrs, Son, He is my Grandfather who died when I was 9 years old.
Verda    4yrs. Son
Pansey  3yrs.Daughter.My Mother used to say the way she dressed reminded her of a nurse.
Ivy  1yr. Daughter.

They also had more children after the 1901 census and one of the was Stanley who married Clara.I have met them when was younger.She became known as Old Clara.

Poley married Victoria Tuck, They were the parents of my mother Leila Gray.Grandfather served in the First World War.

I hope this helps someone in their searches .
Lillymoon.

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gray family
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 January 11 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lillymoon,
Thanks for your reply, its good to hear from you.  From what you've said, there are similarities in names, which is tradition.    My name is Genty after Clara, again spelling varies, from birth register and christening records.   One of her boys, my uncle is Verdi.  If we are talking about the same family, it's possible we've met (maybe).  You said you met Clara when you were younger, can you (do you mind?) saying when you met.  Here's my email if you want to talk about this any more.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lillymoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 January 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Genty, Good to hear from you.
It seems we are cousins.
I met them round the Kings Lyn area and at Cambridge's Midsummer Fair.
My Grandfather Poley went every year to the fair and we would stay the whole week with him.
His brothers,sisters and children would also join us.A family get together.
I still miss this and sometimes wish I could go back in time and get all the details we have missing about our family.
Stanley had brothers called Maurice and Walter that I did not mention before.
I have to make 3 post before I can use the personal message.
So am going to make another one now.

Offline lillymoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 January 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Genty.
After this post I should be able to email you.
Do you have any family photo's,I have a few.
Going to email you now.
Lila.

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 January 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lila
I thought that might happen with the email, it's for the best really I suppose.
We also went to Cambridge fair, infact even went last year. I have an uncle  Maurice, and I remember visiting a man called Wally (Walter??)  it's hard sometimes to know who is who because  most people were known by more than one name and nickname!  Anyway I hope we get email sorted and we can talk more, it's exciting to think we could be related!!!

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
wow great to have some new info thank you very much!!

good to see people getting in touch too, excellent.

I have a photo of Oseri Grays daughter Leborina, a photo and some paintings of Keomi Gray her sister, and some of Genty Grays daughter Leonorah  if you are interested inbox me :)

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello An65
Thanks for your reply, it is an amazing discovery, I started looking in 2007 for my family, I feel so lucky to have have this opportunity, after such a long time I had forgotten my post on here.
I have spoken to an aunt of mine and she has confirmed everything Lillymoon has said, we are indeed 2nd cousins, and never met before.  So anyone looking, never give up. Gray girl
I will try to  mail you now

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
my mam is almost 83 now, and she never saw a picture of her gran as shed died before she was born. After 20 years of research a distant relative pops up with a photo of her. Its truely amazing what you can find out :)

As I say those pictures are yours if you wish to send me your email addy, and I also have the baptismal dates of Verdi Pansy Rosemary Ivy and Lapolius :)

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 August 13 17:38 BST (UK) »
wow great to have some new info thank you very much!!

good to see people getting in touch too, excellent.

I have a photo of Oseri Grays daughter Leborina, a photo and some paintings of Keomi Gray her sister, and some of Genty Grays daughter Leonorah  if you are interested inbox me :)
Hello, I am just starting out researching my family tree.  My father's GG grandmother was Keomi Gray and his ggg grandfather was Osery Gray.  It is my understanding that Leberena (sp?) was Keomi's sister and she married George Barron.  There son Claude George Barron married Florence Bonnett who was the daughter of Keomi and Charles Stewart Bonnett, making them cousins, before husband and wife (Leberona and Claude). 

I would love to speak with someone further who knows more about the family and am interested in the photos and paintings you talked about in some of the posts I have seen.  I am new to this site and so haven't mastered it yet - not sure I'll find this post again! I have seen photos of Osery Gray and paintings of Keomi when she sat for Frederick Sandys and Rossetti.  Any further detail on any of the others would be hugely appreciated.  Many thanksF