Author Topic: Gray family  (Read 33540 times)

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gray family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 August 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello F
I'm not sure how or if I can help, I did start researching my family tree a while ago to find out for how many generations we have been Romany Gypsies but stopped looking to have baby 4 and 5 and to be honest just don't have time.   I have the photos mentioned and I will search for them, do you have an email address?
If you don't mind me asking how have you found out who and how your relatives are ?  Did you know the Grays or Smith from Norfolk?  Stanley & Clara?  If yes, how ? they were my grandparents.
Cushti Bok

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello F
I'm not sure how or if I can help, I did start researching my family tree a while ago to find out for how many generations we have been Romany Gypsies but stopped looking to have baby 4 and 5 and to be honest just don't have time.   I have the photos mentioned and I will search for them, do you have an email address?
If you don't mind me asking how have you found out who and how your relatives are ?  Did you know the Grays or Smith from Norfolk?  Stanley & Clara?  If yes, how ? they were my grandparents.
Cushti Bok
  Hello, Many thanks for responding so promptly.  I would be thrilled to see photos etc. We are actually part of the Barron family and my father never spoke much about them.  I was interested in the fact that George Barron (I think Leborina's husband, there are so many I have to go back and remind myself) was a slot machine pioneer who then went on to become the owner of the Yarmouth Beach front arcades etc.  My Dad died and so I decided to pursue it for various reasons, but as you know there are so many threads.  I was unable to find out any more about Leborena and so stumbled on Keomi who is my fathers gg grandmother.  Because she was muse to Fredericks Sandys and Dante Rossetti, this intrigued me and I am amazed to discover there is a painting of her in the Tate London and another, Medea, in Birmingham Art Gallery.

I don't know the Gray's from Norfolk, but my brother who was brought up there had Gray's in his class at school.  Stanley and Clara sound familiar to me, but as Barron's, although Clara's maiden name would be different.  I can find out from my Norfolk contingent.

Which strand are you from?  I am fascinated by the Romany connection.

What photographs do you have?  I do have an email, but I don't think they allow you to post on here.  I think you have to post 4 times before you can converse offsite? 

I will send another two and see what happens.

Thank you so much.

Nikki

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Gray-girl, this is 3 of 4 posts in the hope something happens to allow to converse privately. Nikki

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
and post 4

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Nikki
It's true there are so many names I have to remind myself as I forget too.
The names you mention and the painting however I know I have been told are distant relations a few times now. There is a good website that gives in great detail many names, Barron and Heron in particular, where a woman has done a lot of research.  I will see if I can recall it.  What are the most recent dates you have? I can talk to some the family.
Genty

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Genty

I am struggling with this site, so if I sent you half a reply, you'll know why.  I have PM'd you my email.  I'm so fascinated to see the photos.  I have now gone through your posts and realised the Stanley and Clara you are talking about are definitely not Barrons, but I will do some research anyway.

Your name.......!  Keomi and Leberena's sister was Genty!  Is it pronounced with a soft G or like Gent as in man?

I will send you a list of the family members I know about and dates later this evening. I am intrigued to know your relation to this strand of the family.

Many thanks Nikki

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 25 August 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Genty

I am struggling with this site, so if I sent you half a reply, you'll know why.  I have PM'd you my email.  I'm so fascinated to see the photos.  I have now gone through your posts and realised the Stanley and Clara you are talking about are definitely not Barrons, but I will do some research anyway.

Your name.......!  Keomi and Leberena's sister was Genty!  Is it pronounced with a soft G or like Gent as in man?

I will send you a list of the family members I know about and dates later this evening. I am intrigued to know your relation to this strand of the family.

Many thanks Nikki

Genty, I am really struggling with this site, so not sure if any of my posts have gone through.  In answer to your question about finding out about the ancestry, I work on ancestry.co.uk.  My sister-in-law who is an expert on this has helped me find info, quickly and accurately, but it is time consuming.  You need a certain amount of info, in terms of dates etc, but I am amazed at what I have uncovered without prior knowledge.  She tell me it is the best and easiest site to use, as she uses others also. I can help you by PM if you need to know more.

Nikki

Hello F
Cushti Bok
  Hello, Many thanks for responding so promptly.  I would be thrilled to see photos etc. We are actually part of the Barron family and my father never spoke much about them.  I was interested in the fact that George Barron (I think Leborina's husband, there are so many I have to go back and remind myself) was a slot machine pioneer who then went on to become the owner of the Yarmouth Beach front arcades etc.  My Dad died and so I decided to pursue it for various reasons, but as you know there are so many threads.  I was unable to find out any more about Leborena and so stumbled on Keomi who is my fathers gg grandmother.  Because she was muse to Fredericks Sandys and Dante Rossetti, this intrigued me and I am amazed to discover there is a painting of her in the Tate London and another, Medea, in Birmingham Art Gallery.

I don't know the Gray's from Norfolk, but my brother who was brought up there had Gray's in his class at school.  Stanley and Clara sound familiar to me, but as Barron's, although Clara's maiden name would be different.  I can find out from my Norfolk contingent.

Which strand are you from?  I am fascinated by the Romany connection.

What photographs do you have?  I do have an email, but I don't think they allow you to post on here.  I think you have to post 4 times before you can converse offsite? 

I will send another two and see what happens.

Thank you so much.

Nikki

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 25 August 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
Googles your best friend :) try doing searches on the various spellings of their names I guarantee you will find stuff on them.

Oseri/Ossery (and other spellings) was married to 1) Elizabeth Billing and 2) Eliza Heron and by #2 he had:
Louis m Leanabel Smith
Jenty/Genty/Gentee or even simply Jane, who married 1)Charles Smith 2) Saint Honour/saint Noah Printer/Printall, and 3) Arkless "dud" Buckley/Smith.
Alfred married Emma Theresa Hartley
Adolphus married Laura Durrant and Harriet Foster
Samuel
Emily/Emma married Harry Middleton and Sydney Tyler
Keomi/kiome/keytumas who loaded with Frederick Sandys and married Charles Stewart Bonnett
Leborina/Laborina married George Barron (whos family started Barron Amusements)

Offline NlBC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 25 August 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hello An65, thank you for your info. I had some of this, but its nice to see where the gaps were. I was fairly certain Jane and Genty were the same, but had no proof to cross reference and same with Keomi/keytumus. I am wondering what happened to them as they appear on 1851 and 1871 census, but not 1861. I know Keomi's daughter Athel/Ethel by Frederick Sands, started in Buffalo Bills Wild West shows and there is reference to them in The States, so wondered if they went there for a while, of whether she was part of the shows when here?

I started tracing the Barron tree as I am a Barron and direct descendent, but in the short time I've been researching, have become distracted by the Grays and in particular Keomi's story.

Do you have any other info?