Author Topic: Gardner Family Ireland (Sligo County???)  (Read 6929 times)

Offline vlwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gardner Family Ireland (Sligo County???)
« on: Thursday 09 December 04 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for information regarding my Gardner family line in Ireland.  I believe they came to America from Ireland out of Liverpool on the ship Franconia, June 22, 1847.  The ship landed in New York.  I think they may have come from County Sligo but I haven't been able to verify this information.

The Gardner surname has become a challenge.  In the United States my family line is Gardner, however, I understand that this name in Ireland could be Gardner, Gardiner, Garner, etc.

From information I have John Gardner and his wife Mary Bridget left Ireland in June 1847 with their son Patrick and infant daughter Mary Bridget to escape the potato famine.  They landed in New York and went to live with relatives in St. Mary's County, Maryland. (Note: I've only found Gardiners in Maryland)  Their older children, James Franklin, John Marshall and Nancy Anna arrived on a later ship to join them in Maryland.  The family moved to the Rope Ferry section of Amherst County, VA., in 1848.  Later they bought a farm in Bedford County on No Business Mountain.

John and Bridget Gardner's children were born as follows:

1.  James Franklin Gardner - born 12/25/1840, in Ireland
2.  John Marshall Gardner - born 5/31/1842, in Ireland
3.  Patrick Gardner - born 5/5/1843, in Ireland
4.  Nancy Anne Gardner - born 11/7/1845, in Ireland
5.  Mary Bridget Gardner - born 3/17/1847, in Ireland
6.  George Gardner - born 1851, in Virginia
7.  Catherine Gardner - born 1853, in Virginia
8.  Thomas Gardner - born 1855, in Virginia

I'm assuming they were farmers in Ireland as that's what they did in Virginia. 

Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vickie Wilson

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Gardner Family Ireland (Sligo County???)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 05 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickie

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vivace365

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my message is rather late (14 years to be exact!) but l have just been looking at some of my Mom and Dad’s stuff whilst sorting out their house.  My great, great grandfather was called Patrick Gardiner and married Mary Brennan some time between 1848-1854 in Sligo Cathedral. The address l have for him is Kingsforth, Ballymote, Sligo. The couple had 9 children: David, Michael, Patrick,Martin, John, ?, James, Mary and Winnie. At least 6 of the children went to live in the States but my great grandfather James who was born 21st June 1866 in a place called Emlagh came to England and settled in Derbyshire becomimg a butler to the Duke of Norfolk.
I know my mother did some investigations years ago but as you will know many records were destroyed by fire. Obviously their isn’t a direct line to you but perhaps an uncle or cousin lurking in there somewhere? I should hasten to add l know nothing about family trees etc so l hope l haven’t confused the issue for you. Best wishes.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.